• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Need help/advice..

chloemurray

Warren Veteran
I know this should be in behaviour/bonding probably, but I thought more people might see it here;

So I'm bonding my two rabbits in the new year (providing their neuter/spay surgery goes well) and I'm after some advice as to what to do before, during and after bonding.:)

So here's some background on my bunnies:)
Benji is male, and 5 years old. Nahla is female and about 7 months. Benji is very confident, can be nippy with anyone that isn't me, and is quite possessive of me. Nahla is a nervy bun and I'm worried Benji might be a bit "too much" for her.

And the questions I would appreciate some advice for:D:
What do I do before bonding?
What do I do if they fight?
How do I know if it's just NOT going to work?
They live outside.. so how do I move them from inside, into their living space outside after bonding?

And any other advice would be appreciated, thankyou!:wave:

I know this should be in behaviour/bonding probably, but I thought more people might see it here;

So I'm bonding my two rabbits in the new year (providing their neuter/spay surgery goes well) and I'm after some advice as to what to do before, during and after bonding.:)

So here's some background on my bunnies:)
Benji is male, and 5 years old. Nahla is female and about 7 months. Benji is very confident, can be nippy with anyone that isn't me, and is quite possessive of me. Nahla is a nervy bun and I'm worried Benji might be a bit "too much" for her.

And the questions I would appreciate some advice for:D:
What do I do before bonding?
What do I do if they fight?
How do I know if it's just NOT going to work?
They live outside.. so how do I move them from inside, into their living space outside after bonding?

And any other advice would be appreciated, thankyou!:wave:

Are you doing a slow or fast bond?

You dont need to do anything beforehand as such but it needs to be done in a small and neutral area and dont make the space bigger too soon.

If they fight by locking on and drawing blood then seperate them chasing fur pulling and circling are all perfectly normal.

If you are going to move them in to bond then depending on the weather at the time they may need to stay in until it gets warmer. Do you have a shed or garage you could bond them in? would that be an option?

Are you doing a slow or fast bond?

You dont need to do anything beforehand as such but it needs to be done in a small and neutral area and dont make the space bigger too soon.

If they fight by locking on and drawing blood then seperate them chasing fur pulling and circling are all perfectly normal.

If you are going to move them in to bond then depending on the weather at the time they may need to stay in until it gets warmer. Do you have a shed or garage you could bond them in? would that be an option?

I was going to do the dating method but now I think the "put them together, hope for the best and constantly supervise" method seems better.

I'm planning on bonding them when the warmer weather hits, but I was going to do it in the conservatory anyway as there's no heating in there, and I don't mind being cold for a week or two:)

I was going to do the dating method but now I think the "put them together, hope for the best and constantly supervise" method seems better.

I'm planning on bonding them when the warmer weather hits, but I was going to do it in the conservatory anyway as there's no heating in there, and I don't mind being cold for a week or two:)

You might as well try that first unless either rabbit has had a bad bond in the past or got any major health problems?

Nope, neither have been bonded in the past and neither have an apparent health problems:)

In that case I would try the put them together and see what happens technique. There are lots of bonding threads on here I would read them all for tips first but the basics are small space neutral terriotory, dont give me space too quickly, spread any food about so it cant cause squabbles

In that case I would try the put them together and see what happens technique. There are lots of bonding threads on here I would read them all for tips first but the basics are small space neutral terriotory, dont give me space too quickly, spread any food about so it cant cause squabbles

Okay:D Thankyou:)

Back