• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cat flaps - any buns got stuck in one?

chelle

Warren Veteran
Hi all!:wave:

Im on a mission to buy a catflap that willbe able to operate into a tunnel...any ones you rec would be great!

Now - OH was wondering if anybody has had the problem where a bun has started to go through the catflap and then decide to not go & so backed out & got their heads stuck?

We are concerned that if this happened when they got a fright and re-acted quickly out of fear or something that they would seriously hurt themselves?

We dont mind haveing another option instead of a catflap but want the cold to stay outdoors as this catflap will be in our dining room wall and lead outdoors into their hutches...:?

:wave:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Im presuming that no one has ever heard of a bun panicking and getting its head stuck....out of 86 people who have peeked at this thread!

So quite a good percentage Im thinking - hee hee !:wave:

Well mine have never done it :lol:

Sometimes they poke their nose through the flap and peer out but never their whole head. They never linger in the hole, just bounce straight through! :wave:

Well mine have never done it :lol:

Sometimes they poke their nose through the flap and peer out but never their whole head. They never linger in the hole, just bounce straight through! :wave:

^^Exactly this! :)

Sometimes when they have ran in to their shed, the first one will dive through the cat flap, then the second gets caught in the face as the flap bounces back - they forget! Doesn't hurt them, as the flap is only plastic, but I must confess to laughing when I saw it :oops: sorry!

No I haven't experienced them getting stuck or anything but, Nessie has locked Jingle out of the shed - she basically pushed a load of hay in front of it so when he tried to get in he couldn't - my OH drilled a tiny hole in it and I put some string through and tie it up to a picture hook that we flattening so no sharp edges sticking out, during the day now so they can just run in and out when it gets colder like about now I drop it down again and they have to push it but, other than that I've not seen any problems - I think they would go with the way they could so if it did happen they would push the other way if you see what I mean and untrap themselves. They don't tend to run at it really fast they run up to it but then gently push it open here.:wave:

I have this one, I did notice though if you have one bun following close behind another they could get a smack in the face as it swings back hence another reason for me tying mine up when they are most active

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/4-wa...for-big-cats-and-small-dogs-by-staywell-24657

My dad made our 'bunnyflap' to stop drafts going into the garage of a day.
They havent got stuck in it yet but if somebun goes through it and another bun is behind them it can swing back and get them :oops: Espcially when they were teaching one another how to use it! They hardly get hit now, i think they have learnt :oops: :lol:

If their cat-flap doesn't open fast enough Jack gets angry and rattles it. :roll:

He's also removed the magnet, removed the seal and gnawed it. He doesn't seem to like it very much! But he's never got stuck in it lol.

^^Exactly this! :)

Sometimes when they have ran in to their shed, the first one will dive through the cat flap, then the second gets caught in the face as the flap bounces back - they forget! Doesn't hurt them, as the flap is only plastic, but I must confess to laughing when I saw it :oops: sorry!

And so you should be sorry but I laughed at you laughing!!! Shame on me!

I've had the pair of them trying to go through it at the same time and nearly getting stuck, but luckily one of them sees sense and backs out :lol:

Also, Peaches is forever digging at the catflap to open it, I'm not sure she quite understands how they work :roll:

:lol::lol::lol::lol: Thank you all! I must say I did laugh too at getting hit in the face!:shock::oops:
Bless them...well I think mine will enjoy useing one....thanks again!:wave:

I've read once on a dutch forum that there was a bun got stuck in a catflap. The flap was made out of hard plastic (I'm not sure which your talking about). She found her bun struggling to got backwards, but that didn't work, for he should be moving forewards to got free. She got rid of the catflap, for she thought it was to dangerous.

I've read once on a dutch forum that there was a bun got stuck in a catflap. The flap was made out of hard plastic (I'm not sure which your talking about). She found her bun struggling to got backwards, but that didn't work, for he should be moving forewards to got free. She got rid of the catflap, for she thought it was to dangerous.

well - this is the thing - if mine see a cat they run off in a panic...Im not sure if they always "think" properly about where they running too....so was concerned that in any cat-flap they would run in a panic and go through & then change their minds and then get their head/necks hurt with the sudden panicked movement...an aweful thought I know but mine do sometimes get abit skitzy....and would hate for them to snap their necks or something.....horrible I know...but thats why I asked for those who have used them as to how the buns are with them.....:?

I must say, I have the same horrified ideas about those catflaps. Aspecialy now, that I have read this on a dutch forum.

But most catflaps swing both ways so I don't see how a rabbit could get stuck as they can go forwards *and* backwards! My catflap certainly does. I don't use any sort of lock on it so it swings freely. :?

But most catflaps swing both ways so I don't see how a rabbit could get stuck as they can go forwards *and* backwards!
Her catflap also did go forwards and backwards. The owner of the bun, who I'd be telling about thought he went through it and than changed his mind and wanted to go back. But with his head allready being on one side and the rest on the other side, and by pulling to the back his head got stuck in there. He should be moving foreward, but he didn't. And in a panicattack he got stuck.

Back