• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What to use for the base in a hamster cage?

Kirsty2oo9

Alpha Buck
I use saw dust at the mo but looking on here its bad for hamsters, what do you all use? i mean as the base of the cage? :wave:

When i has just a hamster, i used carefresh as i didnt need huge bags of bedding back then. Im just trying megazorb now for the piggies, and i think its great :)

I put a newspaper down and then megazorb.
My dwarf hammies think it's great to burrow under the newspaper and sleep there!

I use aubiose for my mice and we all love the stuff. Keeps smells right down, they love to burrow in it, they seem to love nibbling the stuff and it's dirt cheap.

I then give them a bunch of different beddings (hay, toilet roll, shredded paper and shop bought bedding)and they make a nest up themselves.

I use aubiose for my mice and we all love the stuff. Keeps smells right down, they love to burrow in it, they seem to love nibbling the stuff and it's dirt cheap.

I then give them a bunch of different beddings (hay, toilet roll, shredded paper and shop bought bedding)and they make a nest up themselves.

Snap! Aubiose is fab for keeping down smells

I also would like to know, I was thinking about this the other day.

Wouldnt megazorb be too dusty? its dustier than my woodshavings.

I cant actually remember why wood shavings are bad :lol: but I know they are, anyone help me out?

What is aubiose like? and what is it made of?

To the OP, I use woodshavings (but like you am hoping to change) then I just put toilet roll sheets in her cage and it keeps her active finding them and shredding them herself :)

I cant actually remember why wood shavings are bad :lol: but I know they are, anyone help me out?

What is aubiose like? and what is it made of?

To the OP, I use woodshavings (but like you am hoping to change) then I just put toilet roll sheets in her cage and it keeps her active finding them and shredding them herself :)
wood shavings are bad for respiritary systems, I think it's because of the fumes and oils from the types of wood. something like that.

aubiose is made from hemp, there are other hemp products on the market but I know some contain citronella which smells nice but is bad for little critters. It's quite similar to wood shavings, here's a pic from google:
aubiose.JPG

If you cover the postage I'll happily send some :)

Back