• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunnies & Stairs.

GrahamL

Wise Old Thumper
Not sure if this shuold of gone in housing or not... mods, please move if necessary :wave:

As the title really.

Biscuit can do the stairs, very easily. Ginger seems to not get them. She just periscopes, looking up them as Biccy runs up.

I'm wondering if i can extend their space a little more, by allowing them free-range up the stairs and to the hallway.

Now thats all fine and if Ginger learns them, excellent, im sure she would, but if not, its not a major problem as she'd still have the 2 level dog crate, plus the whole hall way.

However, my query mainly is, the slats between each post on the landing and stairs are easily squeezeable through by a bunny, especially a bunny as small as Ginger. Biscuits never even looked at them, he just runs straight up, but i'd worry they'd fall through.

Am i over worrying, or would it be best to fashion some kind of NIC grid barrier / pen panels whilst letting them up here?

Cheers in advance for any replies.

I wondered this too, will be interesting to hear other peoples experiences.

All I can offer is that when mine are playing on the landing, if I take the guard away from the spindles they stick their heads through them for a look down the stairs but that's as far as they've gone up to now, neither have tried to actually get through the spindles ........ although Dizzi has tried to squeeze herself through the babygate! (luckily she can't get her bum through)! lol

I have a pair like that too - tibbsy is off up them like a shot - but Echo stands at the bottom and just looks confused!

Not sure what to recommend re: the railings though, ours are blocked in.

I'd be tempted to put some kind of barrier up - but I'm a "worry-mummy".:roll:

I have to say I wouldn't take the risk with Ginger if she was my bunny, given her well-known fearlessness. Other indoor bunny mummies are more worth listening to on this one though. :)

Now that you've mentioned stairs I want to go an look up 'Bouncer's Exercise Routine' again. :love:

Oh I have in the past been happily downstairs only to hear scratch scratch scratch at the door of the living room, Mini squeezed through the bannister onto the top step and then down the stairs totally bypassing the babygate :roll: So yes they can get through. We put an old length of wood along it but I'm not sure what you would do on stairs. *gets thinking cap on*

I think net is the first thing that comes to mind.
There was something similar in my house when I was a toddler. :lol:

THat's a good idea but would they chew holes in it?

i wouldnt put net up. Biccy got his nails caught in net as a baby and ripped two ends of his claws off :(

I did think about putting some nic panels together in a long line and cable tying, but i wanted something 'removable' and easy to put up/down.

The only thing I can think of is like a piece of wood cut to the size of the gap with holes where you could cable tie it to the bannister spindles. That might be a bit complicated cutting it to the right shape though.

What about tacking a blanket along it?

I was going to suggest this you could weave it between the spindles to help keep it in place. Sooty has access to our stairs and has never shown any interest in jumping though the gaps, however we've recently got a new rabbit and once she's free range I'll have to monitor her on the stairs, if she looks like she may make a jump for it I'll probably do this.

ETA you could probably find a way to tie it to the bannister instead of using tacks

Last edited:
Back