• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Getting a rabbit?

Alicia

Mama Doe
I'd really like a rabbit, and I've wanted one for about a year now. I can't have one because my Mum said no. She said no, because when I was 5, my sister had 2 rabbits and they used to bite and dig things up, but after having a look online I now know that was probably because they were unneutered. I've tried showing Mum what I've found out about rabbits but she's convinced that if I got a rabbit it would bite me and be viscious. She has started letting me do small pet holiday care, and at the moment I have 2 rabbits staying with me. I love playing with them and they are very sweet (one of them went behind a box yesterday and came back out with cobwebs all over his whiskers :lol: ) But I'd really like one of my own. How could I convince her to let me have a rabbit? As she has said no before I know it's unlikely she'll say yes now.

i dont know how old you are and i dont want to discourage you from getting a bunny, but have you thought about all of the other requirements?

Indoor/Outdoor?
What housing would bunny be kept in?
Vaccinations?
Vet Bills? (especially emergency ones!)
Feed?

I am 15. The rabbit would have to be kept outside, although I do have a shed that I could put the rabbit in during the winter. I know the rabbit would need vaccinations and neutering and I'm happy to save up before I get the rabbit to pay for it all. I have guinea-pigs, and I have some money aside for their vet bills which I add to every month, so I could do the same for the rabbit. I could also get the rabbit food when I go to get guinea-pig food.

I'd just keep doing what you're doing. Hang around the forum for a while and learn about all of their requirements and then discuss it sensibly with your mum. Perhaps talk to a rescue about fostering, it's nothing permanent and no vets bills so nothing too worrying for your mum, then who knows she may grow to love some of your fosters and you'll end up adopting them.
In the meantime you are helping out a rescue and possibly saving some rabbits lives. :)

I know there are a lot of members of this forum who have said if they knew everything they know now before they got bunnies they'd never have had them, and several more who have said they won't have any more rabbits after their current ones because they are so high maintenance :lol:

so it's definitely worth doing a lot of research first!

edit: also, rabbits really need to be kept in pairs or groups. A lone bunny outside would be very lonely.

I always wanted a rabbit as a child, but my mum and dad always said no, because we had a dog... and my dad believed they were animals that should be free in a field and that it was cruel to keep them as pets.

When I got Lewis, my mum and dad didn't want a rabbit in their house.. but I got one anyway :lol: Although, I was only in their house over summer til I came back to Uni in Oct :) Since then I've got another bun... my mum loves them :D she's even brought them vetbed and some other treats for Xmas, and my dad's going to buy them some lino for the cage, and he's helped bunny proof the house :D You wouldn't believe how much their opinions of rabbits have changed, since their shock reactions!

As the previous post says, you need to make sure your fully clued up about everything, before giving a lil bun a home :love:

:wave:

Thank you :) The strange thing is when the animals come to stay (I also do holiday boarding for dogs) my Mum loves them, she's always stroking them and talking to them. This morning Dad was sitting with one of the rabbits I'm looking after, talking to him about football :lol:

I might suggest fostering, though I don't know how Mum will feel about that. Does anyone have any information on fostering, I'd like to find some more out about it :)

I'd say definately do lots and lots of research. I didn't, but wish I had before buying Bunsk!

I might suggest fostering, though I don't know how Mum will feel about that. Does anyone have any information on fostering, I'd like to find some more out about it :)
get in touch with a local rescue, as it differs between different places.

basically what happens is you look after rabbits for them while they're up for rehoming. People can come and visit them and then when someone wants to adopt them they go off to their new home.
usually the rescues will provide food and pay for any vets bills and may possibly be able to loan you a hutch/cage/run but usually it's expected that you'll have your own I think.

I've spoken to Mum about fostering and she said We'll look into it in the new year. I know this isn't a definite yes but I think I could hopefully convince her after Christmas. I think having the 2 rabbits staying with me now has helped because she does like them a lot, and before I took one of them to the vets this mornnig she told me she was worried about her and she was stroking her, so I'm hoping I'm changing her mind on rabbits.

I'm starting to think that fostering might be just as good as having one of my own, because hopefully over time I'll be able to look after lots of different rabbits of different ages etc. and they'll all have different personalities which would be good because that will help me be more prepared for getting my own rabbit in the future.
I really hope she'll say yes after Christmas!

You said you're 15 right?:)
Well I'm 16 and have two bunnies, and they really are hard work to look after full time. They need constant stimulation and company, whether it's from you or from their own kind, medical bills can literally shoot through the roof into the thousands, their housing needs to be appropriate.. I'm constantly trying to improve mine...

I'm not trying to put you off or anything... just saying that rabbits are seriously a HUGE commitment to take on permanently. I got my first rabbits in 2005 when I was 11 and I really regret it, I so wasn't ready for them and I didn't understand what they needed. Fostering sounds like a good idea:D

Thank you :) Does anyone know of any links to websites with information on rabbit fostering that I could show my Mum? I've tried having a lot online but I can't find much.

Back