• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Accidental litter were born this morning!

Zahirre

Warren Veteran
Hiya,

Not been on here in sooo long. But anyway... Had a major issue with my buck and doe... both are house rabbits and were waiting to be spayed.

Anyway... long story short, Dexter escaped... they both got it on... he got spayed but Pumpkin had to hold back a week... family issues took over and we ended up with 4 babies being born this morning!

I hope I'm doing everything right... if anyone has any tips please let me know!

So far, she has an upturned cardboard box and has lined it with hay and lots of her own fur. The babies are all in one corner snuggled up under all the fur.

I've checked twice today. First time to see if there were babies as was confused by all the fur but only looked. Second time, rubbed my hands all over Pumpkin and the sawdust and picked them up to see if they were all alive and looking ok.

All 4 babies seem to be fine, all have lovely chunky tummy's!!!

I am now completely leaving them. Pumpkin seems very nervous so have just filled up her water, filled her bowl with her pellets and popped in a handful of spring greens.

I have also put a towel over the cage to keep it darker and quieter. This seemed to stop her panicky noises (sort of a breathy squeling... she has did it a few times before when scared but it's sooo horrid :( )

Also popped Dexter in the living room so he's not near her so she doesn't get too upset.

Have rang the vet and they said everything I was doing was ok.

I'm thinking of checking them once per day. Not picking them up again, just simply moving the fur and looking to see if they are moving and have full bellies.

Am I doing everything right? I've researched as much as I can but there's nothing better than getting advice straight from people who know their stuff!!!!

Thanks in advance!

Meghanne

Yes things sound OK. Mum will only feed them once a day so don't worry if it looks like she is not tending to them. Mum will need extra food and a constant supply of hay to keep her strength up. Keep dad away from mum and babies. Mum can get pregnant straight away. You can re-introduce/rebond mum and dad once the babies are grown up and rehomed. Leave the babies, just check that no bun has wriggled out of the nest, mum will do the rest.

Good luck.

Back