• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit treadmill

brodieleigh

Young Bun
Im not sure if this is in the right section but i have been searching the forum regarding treadmills for rabbits.
My daughters rabbit has been couped up in the shed for weeks now due to the extreme weather and i just wondered if anyone had ever seen a rabbit use a treadmill. Building one is no problem. I just wondered if she would use it,is it safe etc. Does anyone have any thoughts on this ?:?

You're joking, right?
no not at all. she is stuck in a6x4 shed. we have nearly a foot of snow on the garden and i dont really want to bring her into the house because of the heat etc. i just wondered if she would benifit from some form of proper exercise???

:shock:

It'd be better to clear some snow to provide an exercise area. I would not leave her out in a run though.

Sorry, that was very rude of me to assume that, I hope you will accept my aplology.

A treadmill would not be suitable I'm afraid. Have you an unheated room she could exercise in?

Do you mean something similar to the wheels hamsters have?

If you do, I'm not sure a bunny would use something like that, but then I've never tried. My outdoor buns have the choice of whether to go out or not in the snow and some do. My indoor buns are now having to forage more for their food to try and get them to exercise a little.

A bunny wheel is an interesting idea. Bunnies do enjoy playing with toys so may like one. I really don't know.

Could you add some levels in your shed to encourage them to exercise more? And hide their pellets so they have to work to find them?

Will be interested to hear what the more experienced members have to say. Initiallly, I was appalled at the idea of a bunny wheel but when I thought about it, I wasn't sure why as the bun would have the choice of whether to use it or not. I'm not sure their physiology is set up for something like that though.

AH ! I have got it wrong i should have said wheel and not treadmill. my missus is laughing her head off. the kids are in stiches they imagine a rabbit with a headband and heart monitors etc LOL:lol:
To explain. i was cleaning her out this morning and she jumped into a bowl that i left against the side of the shed and started to move it along the wall. at first she jumped out but kept getting back in. really funny. i just wondered if it is a good idea bearing in mind the way they move about on there rear ends.

AH ! I have got it wrong i should have said wheel and not treadmill. my missus is laughing her head off. the kids are in stiches they imagine a rabbit with a headband and heart monitors etc LOL:lol:
To explain. i was cleaning her out this morning and she jumped into a bowl that i left against the side of the shed and started to move it along the wall. at first she jumped out but kept getting back in. really funny. i just wondered if it is a good idea bearing in mind the way they move about on there rear ends.

just no, wheels (if you mean like a hamster wheel) are a no no for Bunnies.

A 6x4 shed is not bad I think. I mean it's better than a 4 foot hutch with no run time which a lot of rabbits while be having now! An hour of supervised runtime would be better than a ball or wheel which are no good for bunnies.

I don't think a wheel would work for rabbits because they hop rather than run so the motion wouldn't be right, plus I imagine it would be very bad for them to bend their spines in the way hamsters do when using a wheel- they just aren't designed to bend that way.

The best plan if there's room would be to attach a run to the shed with a lid to provide a covered exercise area but with access to the shed if the weather is bad. Addind some steps and shelves inside the shed so she can hop around on different levels is good too, just make sure they aren't too high so she can't hurt herself :)

When I read treadmill I was very confused but now i see you meant a wheel! Like others have said they are not suitable, plus bunnies wouldnt be interested. a 6 x 4 shed is a nice size accomodation, obviously exercise is needed but while we are having this cold snap I would just give her more to do in the shed in the way of boredom breakers, such as willow balls, toilet tubes stuffed with hay, an eggbox with some pellets in etc, this will keep her busy.

My three have all been cosied up together for a week, they share a shared too and havent been doing much, but i just think its okay short term, they could have gone outside if they wanted because they had an attatched run but they didnt want to, so i left them to it. Have given them a big box to shred today which they normally spend hours doing, but instead they have snuggled inside it bless him!

Yes i think you are all right on this one. a wheel and rabbits dont go together.
The idea just came to me when i saw her moving the bowl across the shed this morning. I really wish i had not said a word all i have had all day is stick from my missus and kids.I have had a stuffed bunny with a headband left on the dashboard of my car. drawings of bunnies with engines on there backs etc etc. Can someone please tell them to leave me alone it just seemed like a good idea at the time. I am going to have a look at building a run onto the outside of the shed using the idea of a cat flap that i read about in a recent thread.:cry:

Yes i think you are all right on this one. a wheel and rabbits dont go together.
The idea just came to me when i saw her moving the bowl across the shed this morning. I really wish i had not said a word all i have had all day is stick from my missus and kids.I have had a stuffed bunny with a headband left on the dashboard of my car. drawings of bunnies with engines on there backs etc etc. Can someone please tell them to leave me alone it just seemed like a good idea at the time. I am going to have a look at building a run onto the outside of the shed using the idea of a cat flap that i read about in a recent thread.:cry:
haha it's not such a stupid idea! When people don't ask the risk missing out on great things ;)

6x4 isn't too bad, it's enough space to take a few hops and probably manage a binky if they want to :)
mentally stimulating things like hiding pellets or providing them in a treat ball will help keep bunny entertained.

The run idea sounds great, mine have been hopping in and out of their shed all day and their run is full of snow.

To be honest with you I am pleased you came on to ask, because at the end of the day so many pet rabbits and guinea pigs are going to freeze overnight in small hutches, and its nice to know your bunny has a lovely shed and an owner who is concerned :)

I think they should be thankful you care enough to come on and ask :)

:lol:

At least whilst you're outside building the run you can get away from the jibes!
How about building the run all the way around the outside of the shed so the bunny can run laps around it, and maybe do a spot of circuit training at the same time? :D

:lol:

At least whilst you're outside building the run you can get away from the jibes!
How about building the run all the way around the outside of the shed so the bunny can run laps around it, and maybe do a spot of circuit training at the same time? :D
you read my mind. i have a lean to shed on the side of the rabbit shed and have been toying with the idea of turning this into a run. it would be huge. i dont use it anymore so rather than just fill it with junk i could make a proper race circuit lol.

you read my mind. i have a lean to shed on the side of the rabbit shed and have been toying with the idea of turning this into a run. it would be huge. i dont use it anymore so rather than just fill it with junk i could make a proper race circuit lol.

Sounds fantastic, I think we need piccies when it's done!

Sorry, the thought of a bunny with a headband on a treadmill made me laugh :lol::lol:

I don't think wheels work because rabbits hop rather than run, and I don't think wheels allow that sort of movement. Good idea though, I was wondering it a while back... Hope your shed run extension works out well!

Back