• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Frozen water bottles

not sure how honey will work..when that gets cold it goes solid so might block the nozzle.
I tried wrapping my bunnies bottle in 2 layers of bubble wrap and 2 socks last night and the whole bottle was still frozen this morning.
I also put their bowl on top of a snugglesafe but that was also frozen this morning, hopefuly it stayed liquid for longer with the warmth.

I find it helps to use cooled boiled water, still a bit warm for say a third of the water - in the shed I also packed lots of hay round the bottle which is in a snug (scratch and newton) and it hasn't frozen yet although very cold. I do change it 2-3 times at the moment to be on the safe side and quite late at night so it's 'warmish' probably till about 3-4 am.

I'm also concerned about frozen water bottles. As I am at work, I can only change the water bottle when I get home from work, then before I go to bed at night. I've tried everything to stop it freezing, but no luck as yet. My buns are in a shed, and its still freezing over.

Any suggestions what I can do? Or just keep changing the bottles?

Believe me, I've tried everything to stop bowls and bottles freezing. Glycerine is just a sugar so I'm guessing that's where the honey idea comes from. I've tried both and neither works :roll:.

However, the greenhouse heaters work a treat and despite the outside temperature being -10 this morning, both sheds had liquid water in the bowls and bottles. I'm so relieved we installed the heating when we did - just in the nick of time!

We can't have heaters in our shed, as there is no electricity supply. Guess I'll just have to keep changing the bottles when I'm at home.

I'm battling with this the same as everyone else. When I've been giving mine their veg, which they get at night, I've been leaving it extra wet after washing, putting it in a bowl and sprinkling a bit more water on so that theya re taking in water as they munch their greens. I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes but it makes me feel a bit better :(

I'm battling with this the same as everyone else. When I've been giving mine their veg, which they get at night, I've been leaving it extra wet after washing, putting it in a bowl and sprinkling a bit more water on so that theya re taking in water as they munch their greens. I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes but it makes me feel a bit better :(

I've not been washing mine as when i did that the other night i went out later for a water bottle and bowl change, to find the wet veg had frozen to the dish :shock:

Last edited:
I tried socks on mine, but it didn't work :( I know you can get snugglesafe bottle covers can't you? I'm having the same problem at the moment though in regards to them freezing, not every day, but they have been freezing, but only during the night, but luckily I'm out earlish in the morning sorting them out.

I'm also concerned about frozen water bottles. As I am at work, I can only change the water bottle when I get home from work, then before I go to bed at night. I've tried everything to stop it freezing, but no luck as yet. My buns are in a shed, and its still freezing over.

Any suggestions what I can do? Or just keep changing the bottles?
wrap newspaper round them but no bubble wrap it can harm them.

I'm using bowls at the moment and I spend a lot of time refilling them with hot water :roll: I don't really mind though, as my buns are always glad to see me, even if it is 1am and freezing! :lol:

I'm hoping that they also get quite a bit of moisture from the greens I give them and the sloppy, warm pellet mash I give them at supper time. That seems to get sucked up by the buns before it has a chance to freeze!

I'm just changing the bottles several times daily. I don't find there is anything much to do to stop freezing at -9 degrees what it is now. My other half changed the bottles earlier. I'm doing the next run. I hope this weather improves soon.

Tonight I have tried wrapping mine in tin foil and putting a sock on top. Will see if it's worked tomorrow.

Back