• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

It's so hard to discourage people from getting a bunny...

Status
Not open for further replies.
...when you know they are totally the wrong people to have bunnies :cry:

I hate this :(

This is exactly how I got my first nethie Bunny, he was going to be bought for a totally unsuitable spoilt child. I only went in for cat food :lol: and came out with a rabbit and hutch. Just as well as he was quite an aggressive bunny and who knows where he would have ended up.

that wouldnt phase them. they wouldnt take them to a vet :(

What makes it even worse is its family... :cry:

:( This is very hard....especially when they think they see how easy it is & how much joy they bring you...they dont realise how much work you put in to gain their trust & look after their needs & health. Perhaps they can bunny-sit (whilst youre there of course) and see how much attention they need. Or you can show them pics of bunny bites when they decide they are not happy?..that may scare them:?

I usually emphasise the hard work involved - cleaning out in the freezing cold, unfreezing water bottles, going out with a snugglesafe in the middle of the night, the problems in getting rid of bunny waste. Regular bum checks in the summer.

I also tell them how buns don't like to be cuddled and can bite and scratch if they feel insecure.

I've put a few people off - they were all thinking of getting a bunny for totally the wrong reasons.

I usually emphasise the hard work involved - cleaning out in the freezing cold, unfreezing water bottles, going out with a snugglesafe in the middle of the night, the problems in getting rid of bunny waste. Regular bum checks in the summer.

I also tell them how buns don't like to be cuddled and can bite and scratch if they feel insecure.

I've put a few people off - they were all thinking of getting a bunny for totally the wrong reasons.

This would be for a 3yr old with two of the most immature parents who would have no idea what to do.

I've so far told them about vet bills, cleaning out in the cold, vaccinations, health checks etc.

Replies have all been along the lines of the response to vaccinations...

"Vaccinations? What for?"

So i tell them about myxi and vhd...

"It's a bloody rabbit. if it dies, we'll buy a new one, its not like they are expensive, it doesnt matter...we'll probably get rid of it when <name> gets bored of it anyway"

That basically means they'll either let it free, or guess who will end up being a 'temporary residence' for the poor thing :(

All this because she says "Daddy/Mummy...for Christmas, i want a rabbit a guinea pig a hamster and a dog."

I just dont know what to do. I've taken over the information i was given, printed off guides from url's on RU etc.

Brick wall anyone?

i mean i never knew how hard it was to take care of a rabbit and there was much tht i didnt know. but ive learnt and the rabbit is more better for it. tell them how much hay and tht u have to give them a day and how they need to have 4 hrs out each day, and then tell them the cost of neautering, vaccinations, toys and other stuff.

cauaes i know for sure if somebody had said tht to me then id have gone the other way and thought about it a bit more. but hes here now and i have to try my best for him now and make up for keeping him in a small cage for all tht time. but i never have regreted having him at all, it is a learning experience after all.

plus ive always wanted a rabbit to cuddle and stuff still cant do tht now but if i get down on the floor i can hug him lol i use to work with my auntis rabbits she had loads did have quite a few accidental litters lol but some of them were planned. she had some geourgous rabbits though. she did sell them on but would only sell them to people who she thought could handle them, sometimes she would check homes and some times she wouldnt.

This would be for a 3yr old with two of the most immature parents who would have no idea what to do.

I've so far told them about vet bills, cleaning out in the cold, vaccinations, health checks etc.

Replies have all been along the lines of the response to vaccinations...

"Vaccinations? What for?"

So i tell them about myxi and vhd...

"It's a bloody rabbit. if it dies, we'll buy a new one, its not like they are expensive, it doesnt matter...we'll probably get rid of it when <name> gets bored of it anyway"

That basically means they'll either let it free, or guess who will end up being a 'temporary residence' for the poor thing :(

All this because she says "Daddy/Mummy...for Christmas, i want a rabbit a guinea pig a hamster and a dog."

I just dont know what to do. I've taken over the information i was given, printed off guides from url's on RU etc.

Brick wall anyone?

wiat i thought it was the choice of the management to sell it or not. if u believe that its going to be abused cant u say to them im sorry but i cant sell the rabbit to u or takke the case to ur manager or something like tht. pets at home do the same, they ask u a load of questions unless they know u already have one.

wiat i thought it was the choice of the management to sell it or not. if u believe that its going to be abused cant u say to them im sorry but i cant sell the rabbit to u or takke the case to ur manager or something like tht. pets at home do the same, they ask u a load of questions unless they know u already have one.

:?

I'm really confused by your post :roll:

I feel very sorry for this poor bunny :(

i do too its very cruel wat some people do to there pets its sick. i dont think id dream of getting another rabbit unless i know i could manage it. i was thinking of getting scooter a friend when he was done but i think ill reconsider it mostly because of temperament and stuff.

:?

I'm really confused by your post :roll:

basically i thought it was ur choice to say no to the person trying to buy the animal if u think its going to be abused or dont u get the choice. cant u tell ur boss wat they've said to u and say thts why im trying to get them to reconsider.

basically i thought it was ur choice to say no to the person trying to buy the animal if u think its going to be abused or dont u get the choice. cant u tell ur boss wat they've said to u and say thts why im trying to get them to reconsider.

Oh, you think i work for the pet shop?

I don't, its just a personal situation :)

Oh, you think i work for the pet shop?

I don't, its just a personal situation :)

oh right lol srry there not much u can do the. which sucks. u could try to discourage them further. wait couldn't u let them foster a bunny? give them a certian amount of time with it so tht they can see how hard it is and tht its not all a piece of cake and cuddles all around. this might be enough for to teach them that looking after a bunny is not easy, u could pop in every so often if its a family friend or something.

oh right lol srry there not much u can do the. which sucks. u could try to discourage them further. wait couldn't u let them foster a bunny? give them a certian amount of time with it so tht they can see how hard it is and tht its not all a piece of cake and cuddles all around. this might be enough for to teach them that looking after a bunny is not easy, u could pop in every so often if its a family friend or something.

I wouldnt let them have one of mine, either way, they are bonded so they will not be seperated.

Even if i had a third bun, i wouldnt want them to look after it :oops:

I wouldnt let them have one of mine, either way, they are bonded so they will not be seperated.

Even if i had a third bun, i wouldnt want them to look after it :oops:

no i wasnt suggesting urs. cause i know urs are bonded. but a rescue center might let them foster. actually thts a stupid idea lol forget i said it. just remebered that rescue centers dont let u have a bunny unless uve got experience having one lol :oops:

I'm sorry Graham. I know that feeling. My friend who's bunny was Mini's mum seems to think she knows more than me cos she's had rabbits for longer than me. But they are in a small hutch. When we went round there to feed them them she'd left out potato to give them. Only one is neutered. But she's one of those people who is set in their ways. They all think I'm crazy for letting mine free-range. Apparently mine are spoilt :roll: I know it must be difficult when there are children to look after too, when money is tight and space is too, but there are ways round it. If they skipped a holiday one year and only went once then maybe they could get a decent hutch.

Oh sorry that turned into a rant. One can only hope that the bunny will weave it's way into their heart. Do they know how much they can scratch and bite? I'm thinking if you say how they may injure their child rather than focus on the rabbit maybe they will listen?

Perhaps you should tell them flat out that they are unsuit to have pets of any kind.
If not, well, you could make up something about how rabbits kick, bite and scratch... :angel: how they can pass mites to their kid... :angel: how they can escape the cage and ruin furniture/the garden... :angel: how a male bunny will spray and stink... :angel:
Really, they're not even complete lies, anything will do. Such people are only going to be dissuaded if they think the poor rabbit will hit them in their wallet or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back