• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Housing for our rabbit

wiggyswig

New Kit
Hello we currently own a female spayed dwarf lop rabbit and are interested in taking in a neutered male rabbit. Our Poppy is a house rabbit and we have been given conflicting advise at rescue centres, as we have been told that rabbits are social creatures and would thrive on a mate but another told us that we should leave alone as it will probably disrupt our bunny and cause too much trouble. What is the correct advise?

Also we have a 4 foot by 2 foot cage for our rabbit which we were told would be big enough for 2 while we are out of the house. Is this correct? or should we look into a bigger cage?

Hi there :wave:

Personally I'd think you know your bunny best, and it's your house. So your desicion as to whether or not you try her with a companion. Most rescue's will do the bonding for you as well.

If it were me you were adopting from I'd prefer you using a XX-Large dog crate and putting level's in it. Or letting them free roam in a bedroom, hallway or bathroom.

As bunnies naturally live with other bunnies I would go for a companion everytime. It's great to see buns snuggle together and groom each other and obviously you can't be with your bun 24/7 so a companion will keep her company/stimulate her when you are not there. If you ask the rescue if they would take the bunny back if a bonding fails I am sure they would agree to this.

Housing, I would say the biggest you can afford and have room for.

Good luck

Back