• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Muesli is at the vets again!

helgalush

Wise Old Thumper
Muesli is back at the vets for the 3rd time in 8 days....this time nothing to do with his urine problems but he seems to have a poorly back paw.

He wasnt weight-bearing on it this morning and was kind of half-dragging it. :( He did manage to jump up on the sofa when he saw Starbuck up there so hopefully he isnt in too much pain and there isnt too much damage but I thought it best to get it checked over as he wasnt putting his weight on it at all and did seem a bit sad this morning.

Fingers crossed its just a sore muscle or something! I dont know how he did it, but he did wriggle a bit last night when we were trying to give his meds :(

Thank you.

OH has just rung, they can feel some tenderness in his right hip, so they think its just a sprain, they cant feel any fractures. As he is already on a few meds they have given him a shot of long-lasting pain relief that should last the next 24 hours or so, and if he is still showing signs of it being sore after 48 hours we are to take him back for another look.

Hopefully he will be ok.

Our little mischievious man is really giving us laughter and worry in equal measure! I am just relieved he is ok.

Thank you. :D

He must really hate us. He's only been here 3-4 weeks and he's had multiple vet trips, syringe meds, botty bathing, etc etc. He must think his new mummeh and daddeh are right meanies!

The lovely thing is that he is so trusting and even though he hates having his meds, as soon as you put him down, he comes walking straight back over to you for a sniff and some fuss! :love::love::love:

He is officially 4 although Tracy thought possibly a bit older.

Okay well just a warning. Nino did something very similar back in Sept and was unable to weight bear on his paw all day, it settled with anti-inflammatories. I initially thought he must have strained/sprained it or got something in his paw but soon realised an awkward movement or sleeping on a cold hard floor (we were on holiday) had exacerbated his arthritis to the point he was very sore and stiff on that hip. Was it a back leg? 4yrs+ is not too young to have a touch of arthritis and it has been very cold recently/also struggling whilst being handled could inflame any arthritic conditions he may have.

Awwwwwww bless, poor Muesli, hope he is OK, if there is anything I can do for you then please just let me know Helen, sending masses of vibes and lots of prayers for this very special little boy :love::love::love:

Okay well just a warning. Nino did something very similar back in Sept and was unable to weight bear on his paw all day, it settled with anti-inflammatories. I initially thought he must have strained/sprained it or got something in his paw but soon realised an awkward movement or sleeping on a cold hard floor (we were on holiday) had exacerbated his arthritis to the point he was very sore and stiff on that hip. Was it a back leg? 4yrs+ is not too young to have a touch of arthritis and it has been very cold recently/also struggling whilst being handled could inflame any arthritic conditions he may have.

Thank you Vicky. Yes it is a back leg. I have wondered about possible arthritis, with the urine problem as well it would make some sense. We are not sure about the urine problems whether he does quite angle his bottom in the way the other bunnies do (Kenco for instance is very good at spraying behind himself). But thats hard to tell. The thing that makes us doubt arthritis is that he bounds everywhere and jumps up on the sofa - though he even did that today WITH the poorly paw so I'm not really sure that tells us anything! The one thing about it being cold is that they are indoors and although the heating is turned down it does stay a reasonably nice temperature in their bedroom.

I am more inclined to think it was a sprain as he wriggled last night, and hope it will heal by itself. The arthritis is definitely possible though, I guess it'll be one of those things that only time will tell us more? The other thing is that the vet could definitely feel a difference between his right hip and his left hip. Could it be the case with arthritis that its just on one side, not the other?

I hope he gets better soon, I feel he has just been very unlucky since he has been here with us. :( But is such a loving, entertaining bunny :love:

Awwwwwww bless, poor Muesli, hope he is OK, if there is anything I can do for you then please just let me know Helen, sending masses of vibes and lots of prayers for this very special little boy :love::love::love:

Ah thank you Theo, thats a lovely message! :love::love: I am sure he will be fine, I just feel so bad that he's had the run of bad luck, and hoping everything clears up soon so that he and Starbuck can start getting used to the life of luxury and space they should be having! :D

Thanks Theo, I really appreciate it and will give him noserubs from you x

Thank you Vicky. Yes it is a back leg. I have wondered about possible arthritis, with the urine problem as well it would make some sense. We are not sure about the urine problems whether he does quite angle his bottom in the way the other bunnies do (Kenco for instance is very good at spraying behind himself). But thats hard to tell. The thing that makes us doubt arthritis is that he bounds everywhere and jumps up on the sofa - though he even did that today WITH the poorly paw so I'm not really sure that tells us anything! The one thing about it being cold is that they are indoors and although the heating is turned down it does stay a reasonably nice temperature in their bedroom.

I am more inclined to think it was a sprain as he wriggled last night, and hope it will heal by itself. The arthritis is definitely possible though, I guess it'll be one of those things that only time will tell us more? The other thing is that the vet could definitely feel a difference between his right hip and his left hip. Could it be the case with arthritis that its just on one side, not the other?

I hope he gets better soon, I feel he has just been very unlucky since he has been here with us. :( But is such a loving, entertaining bunny :love:

All I can tell you is that Nino bounds around and binkies yet has severe arthritis. X

All I can tell you is that Nino bounds around and binkies yet has severe arthritis. X

Lol, bless him!! :love: Yeah I was thinking you might say that! :lol: If there is some arthritis are there any further signs to look out for? Thank you Vicky, I really appreciate it.

Lol, bless him!! :love: Yeah I was thinking you might say that! :lol: If there is some arthritis are there any further signs to look out for? Thank you Vicky, I really appreciate it.

Early arthritis not really, most buns hide it well. If it is severe then there will be subtle changes that are easily missed - change in gait, stumbling, not able to jump 'on to' things (Nino has never been able to jump very high, jumping on to the sofa is a rarity), hip positioning when peeing, hip positioning when in pain such as pushing belly to floor and raising hips - identical to bloat tummy pushing, pain after peeing and pain manifest as stasis/bloat recurrently with no other underlying cause, reluctance to groom (although I think Nino is just lazy with this one! :lol:). Based on what I have just written i'm not convinced that Muesli is a candidate after all, unless any of this sounds familiar?
Other arthritic buns are stiff in gait, less mobile, have problems with continence and wetting themselves, unable to groom properly or consume caecotrophs.

Maybe it's something worth ruling out just to narrow down the findings. I hope he feels better soon anyway x

Early arthritis not really, most buns hide it well. If it is severe then there will be subtle changes that are easily missed - change in gait, stumbling, not able to jump 'on to' things (Nino has never been able to jump very high, jumping on to the sofa is a rarity), hip positioning when peeing, hip positioning when in pain such as pushing belly to floor and raising hips - identical to bloat tummy pushing, pain after peeing and pain manifest as stasis/bloat recurrently with no other underlying cause, reluctance to groom (although I think Nino is just lazy with this one! :lol:). Based on what I have just written i'm not convinced that Muesli is a candidate after all, unless any of this sounds familiar?
Other arthritic buns are stiff in gait, less mobile, have problems with continence and wetting themselves, unable to groom properly or consume caecotrophs.

Maybe it's something worth ruling out just to narrow down the findings. I hope he feels better soon anyway x

Thanks Vicky. Some of those sound possible - like the hip positioning when peeing and I have seen him push his tummy to the ground the last couple of days but then that may be because he is in discomfort in his nether regions. He does seem to take a bit extra effort than the other buns to eat his caecotrophs but he does manage it. He certainly has no problems jumping and jumping quite high at that.

I think its something to bear in mind - but I do have my fingers crossed that these things are just coincidence.

Thank you again :) Hope Nino is doing ok in this new cold snap :( x

Muesli keeps doing big flops on his side tonight....I'm not sure whether he is just tired or what but he keeps doing it in very dramatic fashion. Then he seems to really grind his teeth so hard that his head shakes and its quite loud.....I am not sure if he is just relaxing or if he is in bad pain?!

Back