• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Akpo is off her food :(

Aurora

Mama Doe
Yesterday Akpo was fine, but today she won't eat anything. When she had her VHD jab the vet mentioned she had some small spurs on her back teeth, but that as they were very small they shouldn't cause her discomfort, I was told to up the amount of hay she has and look out for dribbling, eye problems and other symptoms. I'm now wondering if they were worse than she thought, as I know that even with an otiscope(sp) they can't see all of the teeth :(

I'm so upset. We've tried her on mashed up pellets mixed with water but still nothing. We're off to the emergency vets now, so please send any spare vibes oyu have for my baby girl :(

Her temperature was normal, and the vet had a good look at her teeth, but apparently it would have been more gradual if it was that so he thinks they're ok.

She was given two injections, a pain killer and anitbiotics. I've got to monitor her closely today and take her back tomorrow. She's nibble a bit of apple since we got back, but not with anywhere near as much enthusiasm as usual, and she's still sat in the litter tray looking sad :(

Did the Vet advise you to syringe feed her ?
Is she drinking ?

The vet didn't say anything about syringe feeding, how would I go about doing that? I haven't seen her drink this morning :( she usually drinks out of a bowl but uses the bottle too, i've tried her with both and nothing. I'm so worried :(

The vet didn't say anything about syringe feeding, how would I go about doing that? I haven't seen her drink this morning :( she usually drinks out of a bowl but uses the bottle too, i've tried her with both and nothing. I'm so worried :(

When did she have the VHD Vaccine ?

Did the Vet examine her abdomen and if so did he/she comment on the findings ?

Do you have any 1ml syringes ? I would try to get some fluids into her ASAP

When did she have the VHD Vaccine ?

Did the Vet examine her abdomen and if so did he/she comment on the findings ?

Do you have any 1ml syringes ? I would try to get some fluids into her ASAP

1st December, she was due for it before then but the previous vet we took her to gave two doses of myxi (2 weeks apart) by accident :( instead of one myxi then one VHD.

I haven't got any syringes, I've just been out looking for some with no joy. Where am I likely to find some? :(

1st December, she was due for it before then but the previous vet we took her to gave two doses of myxi (2 weeks apart) by accident :( instead of one myxi then one VHD.

I haven't got any syringes, I've just been out looking for some with no joy. Where am I likely to find some? :(

You may be able to obtain one from a Chemist Shop but really if she is still not eating or drinking she needs to be hospitalised.
Can you call the Vet again to request this ?

Sorry Akpo is poorly. As I have no better advice than what is already posted here, I will just send lots of vibes for her. Keep us posted on how she is doing x

Hi guys, I'm sorry to say that she hasn't improved. I have managed to get her drinking a little, and she has done some poos, not very much and darker than is normal. She has also urinated. Taking her to the vets again first thing tomorrow. :(

A while after I posted that, whilst I was sat up with her she ate some parsley and this morning she has come out of the cage and has eaten some pellets, not as many as normal but it's a good start. :) so hopefully things are looking a bit brighter.

I really hope the vets will be able to find out what has been wrong. I really do think it might be her teeth so I will mention this again to the vet we see today.

Thanks for your help and support everyone, I'll try and update again later.

The vet said the burs on her teeth are about the same as before, possibly a bit worse but that there is no swelling so it doesn't look like they're causing her too much discomfort, but they can't really find out more unless they give her a GA, and they want to wait until she's stronger to do that :(.

She was given a gut stimulant injection to see if it helps to get things moving for her, and help her appetite. She's also been put on antibiotics. She seems livelier than yesterday but obviously I am still so very worried. :(

I've been given some sachets of food to syringe to her, hopefully things will pick up and we can get her booked in for a dental if necessary, which I fear it might be.

Did the Vet give her more pain relief ?

yes she did. I think we'll go back once the course of antibiotics have been completed. The vet didn't prescribe any pain meds for us to give to Akpo, I should have asked really :( I'm such an idiot. I'll give her a call when I can.

Back