• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sick Mini Lop

keff

New Kit
I purchased my first two bunnies 5 days a go. Two female mini lops which are 8 weeks old but one of them is half the size of the other.

The smallest one (Flopsie :)) settled in really well after about a day or so her personality really came out and she has put on weight and the other bunnie (Opal) gets along with her well. I noticed Flopsie would bobble/bounce her head up and down slightly when she moved/walked but I thought maybe its because she is so little and she would grow out of it.

This morning she wouldn't walk or anything and when I picked her up she was quite floppy so I called the lady we purchased her off and she told me to bring her back and she will look after her and make her good again (if possible). She thinks it is because flopsie is so tiny and we were giving her different foods that this has upset her tummy. I noticed 1 or 2 runny stools but no more and she ws drinking and eating fine.

I called the lady a few hours a go and there is no change yet :( I am just wondering if you think it may be just an upset tummy?? But why would she be floppy?? Her eyes were still bright.

I should add that Opal is fine. I have been feeding them a rabbit mix the previous owner gave me, parsley, corn, carrot, occasional apple and broccoli. They also have lots of hay.

Hi, welcome to the forum :wave:
8 weeks old is too young for buns to be eating fresh stuff (they should be on rabbit pellets and hay until theyre 3-4 months old and then fresh stuff can be introduced very gradually.) So it could be something called stasis, a condition where the gastrointestinal tract slows down and someyimes stops. Its potentially life threatening if not treated by a vet very promptly, so please get your bun to a proper vet ASAP.
is she eating and pooping btw? X

Thanks for the reply. She isn't eating today and not much pooping, the lady I purchased her off has her and she is feeding her by syringe.

So no carrot, parsley or corn?? The other one is doing fine but she is a lot bigger (but same age apparently).

She is very floppy and can't walk.

Hope she is OK sending lots of vibes for her. Hopefully the lady you purchased her from has taken her to the vet.

Did the lady you bought her from give her a preventative treatment against EC before you had her? Sometimes EC can be passed down via the mother from birth i believe.

It sounds as though Flopsie may have been the 'runt' of the litter. If you search through my threads you will see i once had a bunny, Scamp, who was the runt of the litter. He had similar problems as Flopsie when he was tiny. He was at the vets often.

Also, with rabbits, you need to change their diet gradually over 10-14 days and any new foods you offer the rabbit should be done a tiny piece at a time to avoid an upset tummy. Foods like broccoli can give rabbits bloat. A rabbits diet should be at least 80% good quality hay :)

Sending lots of vibes for Flopsie, please keep us updated xxx

Sick Mini lop Update

Unfortunately Flopsie passed away last night, the lady said she couldn't even get her mouth open to feed her it was like she had locked jaw and her system shut down.

RIP Beautiful Angel, I know I didn't know you long but I was already in love with you!

I'm sorry to hear you lost your bunny :( It does sound as though she may have had problems from birth, as she was so small.

It would be a good idea to register Opal with a vet now so that they can check her for any health problems and give you good advice on diet and caring for her to avoid problems in the future xx

Back