• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cylap injection/rash

victim

Young Bun
hey all, a month old bun owner here.

took my buns frank (english 15weeks) and jesse (dutch lop 14weeks) to the vet on thurs night and got them sexed and checked, all was well. ended up getting the VHD cylap injection for both of them.

they seemed a little scared and strange when we took em home, then all day fri frank just couldnt seem to relax, then i was checking where he got the jab and noticed a dark red rash all over the back of his neck, very easy to spot cause his skins pinky white.

anyway rushed back to the vet on fri night, had to use a different vet because of snow, vet wasnt worried about anything but gave them both an anti-inflam jab (said it was like calpol for rabbits) because they had temps of 103 and 103.5

got em home and felt very relived lol ill be honest i went from being scared to being angry when i googled "vhd cylap rash"
frank seems fine he was binkying last night but the rash is still there today, my gf doesnt think its changed or spread but i realy feel like he had more hair there, i blow gently to part his hair to see the rash but it seems realy bare.

anyone have any words of wisdom for me? maybe something to put on it or anything? lol i feel so helpless fs the poor wee man
thx for your time.

Last edited:
Sorry this is a common side effect of the Cylap vaccine I believe, although I haven't experienced it, I'd follow the advice of the vets to the letter on it all you can do aside is ensure the bunny is warm, clean and has plenty to eat and drink. You can clean the area with cooled boiled water and dry it but, I personally wouldn't put anything on it. Hopefully it will heal - also do you mind me asking what made you select the username 'Victim?':wave:

thanks vicki! put me at ease lol, lots of scary stuff on the interweb

victim is word play on my name lol victor timmins (i know, strange) i have used it for over 10 years back when i used to pc game and it just kinda stuck lol some of my friends still accidently call me victim...

Hi, mine were prescribed Baytril, Metacam and Fuciderm cream, keep a close eye on the rash as with several of mine the bare areas re-occurred, with one having new reactions eleven months later! I was wondering if this does seem to be prevalent in English buns, but your Frank is a Dutch rather than an English I think?

Hi, mine were prescribed Baytril, Metacam and Fuciderm cream, keep a close eye on the rash as with several of mine the bare areas re-occurred, with one having new reactions eleven months later! I was wondering if this does seem to be prevalent in English buns, but your Frank is a Dutch rather than an English I think?

yea sorry i wasnt too sure but now i examine the pics closer i think your right, franks a dutch dwarf. thanks bud am 100% now.

Spenser had a rash like you describe, but it went away after a couple of days. I was a bit panicky so phoned the vet, and they reassured me but also said I could take him in if he got any worse. I just kept an eye on it, and it gradually disappeared. He was a bit subdued, but the rash bothered me more than him.

I was lucky mine was fine after injection , i do know some prefer the other VHD vaccine Lapinject as it seems to have less side effects. My vet doesn't have it i think it has a shorter storage once opened unless it comes in smaller doses now ?

thanks vicki! put me at ease lol, lots of scary stuff on the interweb

victim is word play on my name lol victor timmins (i know, strange) i have used it for over 10 years back when i used to pc game and it just kinda stuck lol some of my friends still accidently call me victim...

Oh Ok that makes sense, yes there are some horrible things happen regarding vaccines, all buns are different and the side effects vary greatly, it is very important to follow your vets advice and report all the side effects. The bunny should be under constant veterinary care till it is well again, ie examined every week if all is well, any further problems go straight back .:wave:

Back