• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit for my nan

Tasmin's MOB

Mama Doe
Hi,

I am currently making a care guide for my nan as she is thinking about having a rabbit to live with her in her bungalow.
if anyone has anything they would like to share which would help my nan (she doesn't know a lot about buns at the moment so I am giving her as much info and advice as possible before she makes her decision) I would be more than grateful :D

Also If anyone knows a bun that is looking for a home and would be suitable to live as a lone house bun with an older lady then please pm me :)
(I already have bunnymadhouse on the lookout)

She isn't your average nan and is a pretty young nan really but she does spend a lot of time in her bungalow and enjoys the odd night out and trip to church, so the bun will have a lot of company for the majority of the time.

Thank you for your help RUers :wave:

I would say a french lop would be perfect for your nan. They are the most laid back and cuddly of all the bun breeds.

So far I have found a leaflet from the RSPCA which skims over the basics.
I have highlighted certain things that she needs to know and have found her a fact sheet on VHD and Mixi.

I am going to write out a diet menu for her so that she can see exactly what a bun needs to eat.
I will also add a price list for food so she can make sure that she can afford it.

Think I will phone the vets near her and get a price list for vaccinations, castration and check ups, although I will always help her out with vet bills if she needs me to. I may try to arrange for her to have a consultation with a vet.

Is there anything else I could add to this?

I will be getting her the bun for her birthday if she decides that she would like one and I want to make sure she has as much info as possible so that she can decide for herself whether she can make a commitment.

Fanks :D

The best thing she could do is definately have a puppy pen to contain the bunny when necessary for it's safety and also to assist with litter training, it's good to allow at least a week in the enclosed pen while rabbit proofing the home and enabling the bunny to get used to using the litter tray etc:wave:

The best thing she could do is definately have a puppy pen to contain the bunny when necessary for it's safety and also to assist with litter training, it's good to allow at least a week in the enclosed pen while rabbit proofing the home and enabling the bunny to get used to using the litter tray etc:wave:

This is a great idea and it has reminded me to write out ways to rabbit proof her bungalow too! xx

This is a great idea and it has reminded me to write out ways to rabbit proof her bungalow too! xx

Yes the maltesers aren't so bad but, best to get the baby settled and used to weeing in the tray I think - I'm not sure your nan would appreciate cleaning wee up all the time :)

Yes the maltesers aren't so bad but, best to get the baby settled and used to weeing in the tray I think - I'm not sure your nan would appreciate cleaning wee up all the time :)

This is what we are having to do with Tilly at the moment, she came from the RSPCA and don't think they have had much time to be training all there buns so they seem to go wherever they please :roll::lol:

This is what we are having to do with Tilly at the moment, she came from the RSPCA and don't think they have had much time to be training all there buns so they seem to go wherever they please :roll::lol:

Why does that not surprise me :lol: I was talking to a pet shop owner the other day and suggested she used a litter tray, explaining it's easier to clean out and she is training them for prospective owners etc - has she bothered no :evil:

I talk non stop rabbit to my grandma, so she was pretty prepared when she took one on :lol: Try the RWAF for some leaflets, they have some really good ones :) I ordered a ton of leaflets from different places for owners of rabbits I've bred, the RWAF ones are definately the best. A lot of others I actually threw away because they were giving out bad information (Including a big wad of booklets from a vet company)

I talk non stop rabbit to my grandma, so she was pretty prepared when she took one on :lol: Try the RWAF for some leaflets, they have some really good ones :) I ordered a ton of leaflets from different places for owners of rabbits I've bred, the RWAF ones are definately the best. A lot of others I actually threw away because they were giving out bad information (Including a big wad of booklets from a vet company)

Thank you I will take a look. What sort of bad info were they giving out :shock:
I noticed that the lady from RSPCA wasn't very clued up on the buns (or at least she wasn't as clued up as she shoudl have been) it's such a shame that these sort of people don't feel the need to do there research :(

Why does that not surprise me :lol: I was talking to a pet shop owner the other day and suggested she used a litter tray, explaining it's easier to clean out and she is training them for prospective owners etc - has she bothered no :evil:

:evil: some people just don't care or can't be bothered :roll:

Thank you I will take a look. What sort of bad info were they giving out :shock:
I noticed that the lady from RSPCA wasn't very clued up on the buns (or at least she wasn't as clued up as she shoudl have been) it's such a shame that these sort of people don't feel the need to do there research :(

I can't remember now, it was something really obvious though, like on diet or something :?

tasmin i have all the rwaf leaflets ... i can send you our info pack if you like ..they are all in there ;)

That would be fab! Thank you :D!!

The more info I can throw at her the better! Poor nan is going to be bombarded with info and questions from me and Simon :oops::lol:

Do you have our address or I could just pick it up when we pick up Oriana if you like?

Back