• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Folks with old dogs.......

bensonlola

Warren Veteran
...... anybodys getting grumpy? Mine is growling at me more when I try to put his coat on him and sometimes being lifted to be put in the car. I'm wondering if I need to increase his steroids. He has a touch of artheritis so he may be in pain and just not showing it in the way he moves.

Any experience/advice? He's 14 and a half and my first dog....

Some dogs do change with age this can be because of pain, loss of hearing, poor vision, or just that we make extra allowances for them.

I have a soft spot for elderly pets.

I try to make sure they hear me approaching them, I take extra care when handling them, take them for shorter but more frequent walks.

If he is eating ok and still happy to go for walks play I would hold off with any meds for now, but talk to your vet.

My gorgeous old girlie is very nearly 16 and for a B/Collie that's good going?
Her sight is not the best now, neither is her hearing, she has muscle wastage in her hind legs which give way now and then :cry:
But
Our vet assures me she's not in pain and she never winces, growls, whines.
She eats enough for four :shock: and she has very tiny walks

She's got every right to be grumpy but she never is
(looks a bit sad at times tho - so we have a snuggle!) :D

I love my doggie :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

Thanks! I love my boy too. 14 odd years is a long time and he's been my little companion through thick and thin. He is eating well - he could do with one tooth out but it's not hurting him and the vet said that with his little chest prob it would be best to leave it alone unless we really have to remove it. His hips play him up a bit but he seemed to be doing ok on 1 steroid every 3rd day. I'll ask the vet what he thinks but I really don't want to up them unnecessarilly. He just likes to sleep a lot now (preferably snuggled up beside me on the floor! :love:) Love to your old pets in their twilight years!

Back