• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

So cold last night. Bottle broke!

Kittykat23uk

Mama Doe
My poor bunnies, their glass bottle shattered last night in the cold and both bowls froze up. How do you keep bowls/bottles defrosted in this weather? :shock:

I don't think you can. I tried everything I could think of and resorted to changing the water bowl 3-4 times a day.

Fortunately, my husband has now installed heating in both sheds so whilst it's -6 outside, the bunsters stay at 2-3 degrees in the shed and the water never freezes anymore. I'm so glad we got it all finished a couple of weeks ago. Now my only problem is digging the snow away from the shed door so that I can get into them :shock:.

I don't have outdoor bunnies but I've seen people recommend a few things.

For bottles, put socks or bubblewrap on the bottle and tape around the top half of the spout. For bowls, use a snugglesafe underneath and/or put a ping pong ball in the water so that it disrupts the water and helps break up any forming ice.

I don't have outdoor bunnies but I've seen people recommend a few things.

For bottles, put socks or bubblewrap on the bottle and tape around the top half of the spout. For bowls, use a snugglesafe underneath and/or put a ping pong ball in the water so that it disrupts the water and helps break up any forming ice.

I tried all those things and the water still froze :cry:. Although I suppose it depends on where the shed/hutch is situated - if it's up close to the house it may not freeze as easily as if it's up the top of the garden.

My poor bunnies, their glass bottle shattered last night in the cold and both bowls froze up. How do you keep bowls/bottles defrosted in this weather? :shock:

someone told me to put some liquid glycerine in the water, I have never tried it so don't know if it's safe or what but know it's suppose to work.

Don't fill the bottle all the way to the top, the water expanding when it freezes can cause the bottles to break.
I haven't found a way to stop the wayter freezing yet :( I have one of the snugglesafe covers and I think it helps a bit but the water still freezes when it's really cold.

someone told me to put some liquid glycerine in the water, I have never tried it so don't know if it's safe or what but know it's suppose to work.

I've heard that too, it was on the RWA website somewhere I think.
I'd only do it when you know it will freeze because, being sugar, it's not something you want to be doing unless you have to.

I have two bottles, one in the house and one on the run, and switch them over every morning or whenever it's frozen. Always a good idea to have a spare bottle in the winter because they do crack sometimes.

The glass bottle had been good for nearly five years. They usually last a lot longer than plastic ones. :cry: Thankfully the glass was kept in place by the ice and the snuggle safe so no harm was done to the bunnies. I had a spare plastic one which I'm now using.:)

There is only so much you can do - comes with the territory of having outdoor bunnies.

Try and insulate the hutch (if they're in a hutch) the best you can - I put a duvet over one of mine last night and the water didn't freeze.

I always put luke warm water in their bowls too so it lasts a bit longer (and the bunnies often like drinking it a little warm)

I agree about glass bottles. I fill plastic bottles 3/4 full with very warm water and put it under their hay (as well as a snugglesafe).

They are tough little cookies though. You are doing all you can. As long as they're eating and pooping all is good :)

Tried glycerin too - doesn't work :cry:. Aside from installing heating, there's nothing much you can do apart from changing the water several times a day.

Back