• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

To bring them in or not

loppy ears

Warren Veteran
I am thinking about bringing the bunnys in, I have a large dog crate to use as a base and they would have to live in my bed room.

Would I need to get some lino or something for the floor to put over the carpet?

Or should I leave them as outside bunnys?

I have a lot of those metal panels to protect stuff, the only thing I am worried about is the pee and being able to keep it all clean.

not as much as I like my bunnys, but I will have to keep it clean is it easy to clean rabbit pee from carpets?

If you get to it quick. Problem is if they wee somewhere you don't see and don't clean it quick it's very difficult to get rid of the smell. I had a problem in summer when all four were in my room as a litter box had cracked and leaked on the carpet and I didn't see it and oh, the smell. I kept trying to clean it but it didn't get rid of it completely. Fortunately I had intentions on having lino put down!

It may be worth initially putting down a load of towels or puppy pads or something to start with. See how good they are at not weeing outside their box.

The problem is you can not bring them in to see how it goes because once they are in they are in until Spring, so I have to be sure it is going to work out first. I am going to go and see if I can make it all ok for them indoors and be sure they are going to be clean and comfortable. The people I live with will not like pee smells.

My bunny, George was poorly recently so him and his wifey bun have ended up resident house buns! :shock: We only had a new carpet in August in the lounge (need i say anymore) :lol: Basically, i managed to get some cheap carpet offcuts from the place i had my carpet from, they are the same colour. Ive used 2 puppy pens to section half the lounge off and they have been fine :) No accidents, apart from the odd poos and lots of hay everywhere. They do have their litter trays cleaned every day though and by the end of the 24 hours they do start to smell :( I wouldnt change it for the world though :) xx

I've never noticed bunny wee smell but apparently I'm very unusual in this!

Anyway, to neutralise wee smells pour on white vinegar (or vinegar:water solution), leave for 24 hours, work in some bicarb, leave until dry then hoover up. That should get rid of any smells.

I would definitely put something down to protect the carpets because even if the buns seem ok at first you never know when they'll get a taste for something!

I'd also possibly wait until summer so if it doesn't work you can put them out again. That's what we're doing because I'm being selfish and thinking of bringing my buns indoors :oops:

I think it's difficult to say whether you should leave them out or bring them in because you haven't seen them in. With mine, I'm just going to see how they get on (I have a feeling one will love being a house rabbit and the other two will hate it) then make my mind up.

Back