• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

People with outdoor rabbits...

chloemurray

Warren Veteran
It's amazing what we'll do to keep the bunnies warm:lol:

I've been out in the dark wrestling with towels to put over the front of the hutch (that I'd warmed up on the radiator:oops:),
Warmed fleecy blankets for their beds and main area,
Huge bags of hay and straw to fill up their litter boxes and "nest" areas,
A big tarp to put over the front of the hutch on top of the towels,
And then huge planks of wood to pin it all down so the wind doesn't get in too much.

I'm shattered now! Before that I had de-iced their water bottles and filled/covered them in insulation again, and gave them their evening pellets. I hand fed their veggies earlier so they didn't freeze in the hutch:roll:

What have you been doing with the bunnies today?:wave:

Snugglesafes during the day which i normally dont do :) clean out and extra food. Thawed water. Now sat with a cuppa! :D

Water hasn't frozen here today, yesterday I put fresh in first thing in morning by dinnertime it was frozen and same again by tea time. No snow here this time though, seems we missed it (fingers crossed) :D

I love this forum so much just knowing I am not the only mad person in the world, makes me feel almost normal:D

Water hasn't frozen here today, yesterday I put fresh in first thing in morning by dinnertime it was frozen and same again by tea time. No snow here this time though, seems we missed it (fingers crossed) :D

We got lotssss of snow here last night, I couldn't get into my christmas temp job today, missed out on 6 hours work, grr.

I've been regularly changing the snugglesafes - 1 first thing in the morning, another at about 5pm and then another at bedtime. I've created a cosey burrow of straw in a box, which I've been topping up each night (her snugglesafe goes under the straw) plus the whole hutch has been insulated with the silver bubble wrap insulation on the outside, then has a weatherproof cover over the whole hutch. The two floors of the hutch also have the silver bubble insulation covered by some corregated card and then a layer of newspaper.

Have found the key to keeping the snugglesafe warm is insulation. I use them as hot water bottles myself and find that they will still be warm in the morning - so I guess that the bedding provides insulation.

Also a few years a go I had some 5mm acrylic cut to size to cover the mesh part of the hutch doors (with 1cm air holes drilled in along the top), screwed to the wood of the door in each corner - one of the best things I ever did as it reduces the draughts.

Honey's water has only frozen once in the cold spell, despite going down to -11 on some nights (my conservatory doors have been frozen shut on quite a few mornings), so I added a couple more layers of insulation to the front of the hutch at night.

I've dug the playhouse and hutch out three times barracaded them in with hay, heated snugglesafe, got very wet as the snow is above my wellies. Will go out again at 9.00 pm to give them their treats and redo water. The hutch as an insulated cover so pretty snuggly in there and the playhouse is also insulated.

I've left the heaters switched on all day, and dug my way into the sheds twice so far.

I'm dreading trying to get in tomorrow morning when all the bolts are frozen and the gates won't shift for the ice.

It's amazing what we'll do to keep the bunnies warm:lol:

I've been out in the dark wrestling with towels to put over the front of the hutch (that I'd warmed up on the radiator:oops:),
Warmed fleecy blankets for their beds and main area,
Huge bags of hay and straw to fill up their litter boxes and "nest" areas,
A big tarp to put over the front of the hutch on top of the towels,
And then huge planks of wood to pin it all down so the wind doesn't get in too much.

I'm shattered now! Before that I had de-iced their water bottles and filled/covered them in insulation again, and gave them their evening pellets. I hand fed their veggies earlier so they didn't freeze in the hutch:roll:

What have you been doing with the bunnies today?:wave:

I know it's not possible for everyone, and I'm sorry if this wouldn't be feasible for you but..... best thing ever I bought that helps me keep them warm ....... SHED!!! ..... then a hutch with the door off packed with straw and hay. Cardboard boxes stuffed with hay etc. They're nice and snuggly!

Back