• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Another one inside. . check your vulnerable buns

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
The weather is so cold that despite all our mounds of hay and straw (bought 6 more bales yesterday) and two duvets on each hutch, and snugglesafes, and the best hutches in the world etc etc - the weather is obviously proving 'wearing' for those with any problems at all with immune systems.

I have been concerned about Viola Rose for a week or so and yesterday finally decided to bring her in despite the chaos of housebuilding in here (every room in turmoil now). And this morning due to her being in all the time we were able finally to pinpoint what has been nagging at me - basically her face has been looking 'strange' (a puffier shape) and today I finally saw the puss in the ear which I was part expecting - which has meant she has been struggling with the cold as the ear must ache more.

I did take her to the vet two weeks ago but we could not actually see anything then and she had teeth/eyes/nose checked and flushed -

Any way this is a WARNING TO EVERYONE - that this extended cold is starting to affect ANY bun that may have very slightly damaged immune systems (Viola Rose had myxi 15 months ago).

I now only have out the buns that have never shown any sign of a chronic illness before (.... actually must go and double check Mulberry who did once have an ear infection before . . . )

Only problem is its getting crowded in here:shock::shock::shock::shock: We have 8 actually inside the house and two giants in the studio/office: only 12 buns actually outside now!

Poor Viola Rose. I hope she feels much better soon. :)

Perhaps you need to turn your bedroom into a bunny room and you can sleep out in the hutch? :lol:

Good post Twigs, I think it is now 'unprecedented circumstances' regarding the cold weather and I cant see how any Rabbit with a chronic health problem could continue to cope outdoors.

I hope VR will respond to treatment xx

mine are healthy buns but i decided to bring them inside at the turn of the weather anyway its a mad house now :lol:

Poor Viola Rose, I hope she is better soon. I hope all your buns are ok.

I wish we could bring our bunnies in, I worry about them all.

Good post Twigs, I think it is now 'unprecedented circumstances' regarding the cold weather and I cant see how any Rabbit with a chronic health problem could continue to cope outdoors.

I agree Jane - we're fortunate to be able to bring all ours in for the winter & am so pleased we're able to. A good job really seeing as the snow has caused the aviary roof to collapse!! :roll:

Really hope Viola Rose will be feeling better soon.

Snowdrop has continued to do well outside, despite her health problems. She is much happier and healthier out in the cold than she ever was inside. Touch wood we have had no stasis at all yet this winter whereas when we was inside last winter we had an episode every 2 weeks.

:wave: Just wanted to say, all 8 of mine are indoors at the mo, and we have fairly major building works going on also .......... good fun isn't it! :lol: But I absolutely love them all :love: (really hope Viola Rose is ok btw) x

Last edited:
I'll keep a close eye on Sue but I think it would stress her and Peggy out too much if I brought them in. They wouldn't have much space and both have really thick winter coats whereas my indoor two don't.

Sue seems fine so far - touch wood - and is eating and pooping well. Both her and Peggy have the sense to sleep in the sleeping part of the hutch (unlike all my other buns who stay in the cold more open area). I think bringing her in is more likely to result in stasis. I will be putting a snugglesafe in the sleeping compartment tonight though and another blankie for them (they already have one with their shredded paper, straw and hay).

I'll take it day by day I think but thank you for the warning. I will keep a closer eye on her.

Poor Viola Rose. I hope she feels much better soon. :)

Perhaps you need to turn your bedroom into a bunny room and you can sleep out in the hutch? :lol:

Great idea EXCEPT I don't have a bedroom at the moemt due to the building works - I am kipping on a camp bed in the living room and t is already occupied by a rabbit anyway (a fulltime houserabbit). Partner is kipping on sofa in the backroom and there are already two houebuns there as well!!:lol::lol:

Same here :wave:

I had to bring Smokey and her partner Tramp indoors a couple of weeks ago because she's started with an upper respiratory infection. She was previously in the garage, but even in there the temperatures were too cold this year. Poor Smokey is about 8 years old now and has suffered from respiratory problems in the past, so is quite vulnerable.

I've just been asked to take in another poorly rabbit, but I have no indoor cages available. I'm just praying the poor mite will be okay going out into the garage in this weather...either that or I can borrow a cage from somewhere! :(

Great idea EXCEPT I don't have a bedroom at the moemt due to the building works - I am kipping on a camp bed in the living room and t is already occupied by a rabbit anyway (a fulltime houserabbit). Partner is kipping on sofa in the backroom and there are already two houebuns there as well!!:lol::lol:

Eeeek, that sounds like a lot of fun. :lol::lol::lol:

yes its really hitting anybun and also anyone who has even slightly compromised health - even if they are ok normally.

Same here :wave:

I had to bring Smokey and her partner Tramp indoors a couple of weeks ago because she's started with an upper respiratory infection. She was previously in the garage, but even in there the temperatures were too cold this year. Poor Smokey is about 8 years old now and has suffered from respiratory problems in the past, so is quite vulnerable.

I've just been asked to take in another poorly rabbit, but I have no indoor cages available. I'm just praying the poor mite will be okay going out into the garage in this weather...either that or I can borrow a cage from somewhere! :(

Amy we currently have a spare cage if you need to borrow it :wave: I can meet you at a junction off the M1 with it if that helps.

It's not massive, but if it's for a poorly bun to recover in depending on the size of bun it might be ok - just let me know :wave:

Amy we currently have a spare cage if you need to borrow it :wave: I can meet you at a junction off the M1 with it if that helps.

It's not massive, but if it's for a poorly bun to recover in depending on the size of bun it might be ok - just let me know :wave:

Thanks Denise. Have PMed you :)

:wave: Hope your girl gets on the mend sharpish parsnip bun.
I really empathise with you UK based guys. What a nightmare with all the snow.
The worlds weather is mad!
We have had an early quite severe drought here that has broken with days of torrential rain.
My buns have been shed bound as they would need life jackets to go out at the moment, their run is a small lake.
But at least it is possible to get around still. It sounds rally bad for vast parts of the UK.

I hope your little one gets better soon. I think we are all worried about our outside buns.

I worry about the little ones whose owners don't really care about them. I imagine there will be a lot of rabbit and guinea pig deaths this year :cry:

I have even been keeping mine covered during the day and just opening them up for about 3 hours. I feel mean but at least it will only be until the really bad weather passes. I am glad they all have partners. Brought my pig in in November before bonefire night a I do every year.

Just a few months folks, the time will go quickly and then it will get warmer. I hope.

Back