• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Heart Disease Rex...Gone To The Bridge

Lobo

Mama Doe
Fionn is a 14 week old standard rex with congenitive heart disease who we have been caring for the past four weeks. Apart from dyspnoea causing him to always need to sit upright pointing his nose upward to breathe, he also has hypoxia because of the reduced oxygen in his circulatory system; making his ears, nose and mouth blue.

His current medication is 0.2mls of frusemide in the morning and 0.5mgs of Fortekor in the evening.

At about the 20 second mark of the video he has a sneezing fit lasting a few seconds. He has several of these during a day, mostly lasting from a few seconds to around 10 seconds which cause his body to convulse; followed by frantic wiping of his nose with his front paws. We cannot see any discharge during these bouts and nothing appears to be on the inside of his paws.

I have seen videos of other RU bunnies with similar breathing but cannot recall seeing the sneezing fits. If anyone can shed any light it would be appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY565-PoGbc

Last edited:
Fionn is a 14 week old standard rex with congenitive heart disease who we have been caring for the past four weeks. Apart from dyspnoea causing him to always need to sit upright pointing his nose upward to breathe, he also has hypoxia because of the reduced oxygen in his circulatory system; making his ears, nose and mouth blue.

His current medication is 0.2mls of frusemide in the morning and 0.5mgs of Fortekor in the evening.

At about the 20 second mark of the video he has a sneezing fit lasting a few seconds. He has several of these during a day, mostly lasting from a few seconds to around 10 seconds which cause his body to convulse; followed by frantic wiping of his nose with his front paws. We cannot see any discharge during these bouts and nothing appears to be on the inside of his paws.

I have seen videos of other RU bunnies with similar breathing but cannot recall seeing the sneezing fits. If anyone can shed any light it would be appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY565-PoGbc

Yes, I have often seen this in Cardiac Buns. In the cases I have seen the sneezing has been the result of a secondary respiratory tract infection, there has seldom been any nasal discharge, the infection being within the lungs due to the poor air exchange. All my 'heart Buns' were on longterm abx cover, mostly Depocillin injections every 3 days.

Last edited:
This looks very much like Frankie when he had a respiratory infection. He was on dipocillin every 3 days and septrin. Sending lots of vibes for the little one.

Jane, thank you for the quick reply.

Our vet was very concerned that Fionn might have been exposed to pasturella at the breeder's premises. There are some occasions when his breathing can sound a little "snuffly". He also makes a lot of grunting/straining noise when he is eating which I have put down to restriction of the airways with his head in the downward position. We have his hay above shoulder height to help but his pellets and water we can't do much about. It does look like I will need to do the Depocillin each 3 days (after consultation with our vet, of course). :( I did it for over two years with one of our other buns because of recurring abscesses.

Oh bless Fionn - I'm sorry I've no advice but wanted to send him lots of vibes & snuggles for being such a brave boy :love: xxx

Jane, thank you for the quick reply.

Our vet was very concerned that Fionn might have been exposed to pasturella at the breeder's premises. There are some occasions when his breathing can sound a little "snuffly". He also makes a lot of grunting/straining noise when he is eating which I have put down to restriction of the airways with his head in the downward position. We have his hay above shoulder height to help but his pellets and water we can't do much about. It does look like I will need to do the Depocillin each 3 days (after consultation with our vet, of course). :( I did it for over two years with one of our other buns because of recurring abscesses.

Please give the little lad a special cuddle from me :love:

Sending lots of love, & hope that ABx ease Fion's breathing.
He's such a handsome & courageous little fella.

Thanks for the good wishes and vibes.

It is hard seeing him like this but we try to be bright around him so he doesn't pick up on any stress; although there are times when you just need to go to another room.:(

Apart from the breathing and sneezing issues, he has had a good day spent with his mummy and daddy in the family room getting lots and lots of special cuddles (especially the one from Jane). He went into the kitchen and found the vegetable scrap bucket and was helping himself to a piece of papaya when he got caught. The lid was put on the bucket and shortly after there he was trying to get it off even though at full stretch he can just reach it.:)

He has also gained a little weight up from 1.006Kg to 1.058 in a week.

Hopefully we will get a vet appointment for tomorrow to discuss the antibiotics.

There is another small video here from this morning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFNcMYM89GQ

Awww he's such a special bunny. Thankyou for today's video.
Lots of special cuddles from us too, & everything crossed for tomorrow. Please let us know how you get on.

I am terribly saddened to say that Fionn was put to sleep at 6:10pm today.:cry:

After such a good day yesterday, today was dreadful. He did not eat or drink at all overnight and fought against his frusemide dose this morning. We had never had a problem with his meds before. This morning he was really struggling for breath and had a couple of minor fits. He looked so frightened. A vet appointment was made for 5pm but by this stage his breathing had become very shallow. When the vet listened he said he could hear a lot of fluid in his lungs and heart and thought his food and water refusal may have been due to the medications causing gut problems, as he had bloat 12 days ago. He also fitted on the examination table so the hard decision was made to pts as Fionn now had virtually no quality of life.

We read quite a few negative posts about vets but I want to say what a wonderful vet we have. He really agonised over the pts decision and did the injections in such a caring and gentle manner while we held Fionn. He had also given us a room to spend time saying our farewells to Fionn and his associate vet made both myself and my OH a cup of tea. Then he refused payment for his services as he had done with Fionn's previous visit.

We only had Fionn for 31 days but he made a huge impression and will not be forgotten. Today he was 100 day old.:(

I'm so sorry Lobo :cry: So very sad. It's lovely how much you care for him when he was with you such a short time. I'm very sorry for your loss.

I am so very sorry :cry:
I will try to compose myself before I say more as I am joining you in crying my eyes out just now.

:cry: :cry:

I also grieve with you.
You do so much for the distressed buns you meet. I'm very sad that Fionn's time with you was so short.

Back