• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Urgent Help please - rabbit eaten Zimovane/Zopiclone

Coineanach

Wise Old Thumper
Cross-posted in chat due to time.

Went through to get my sleeping tablets, Oidhche-Velvet has gotten onto the table and eaten them. Have phoned the emergency vets, the vet nurse said she would get the vet to phone me back as they're in a consult. The last time I needed the emergency vet they were rubbish anyway.

She's probably had about 15 mg, I don't know how many were left in the packet.

She's eating and pooping fine, still plenty of appetite and energy. The earliest she could have had them is about 3 hours ago.

Do you have a National Poisons Centre 24 helpline you could call while you wait for the vet to call you back?
It might be helpful in gaging the severity of the situation even though it will be human orientated (if there is one of course)
Hope all will be OK with your girl.

That is a great idea thank you. For the NPIS here you have to be in the NHS but I do have access to Toxbase which is an online poison centre.

I know it can be fatal in humans when mixed with other meds or alcohol, luckily she isn't on anything else but I have no idea how it's going to affect her wee body. I'm kicking my backside so hard for leaving them in the same room as her, I never thought she'd reach the table, to be honest I wasn't even thinking when I put them there :cry:

I found a paper which stated that 1mg/kg slightly decreases resp. and heart rate but not BP or ECG results. Up to 50mg/kg has no effect on intestinal movement, and she's definitely not had that much. The most she can possibly have had is 5mg/kg, and that's the very top, I don't think there were that many left.

Vet phoned back, has no suggestions of what to do apart from bringing her in, but it would only be for observation as he has no treatment suggestions. She hates going to the vet (or travelling, I'm not sure which) so I'm going to keep an eye on her here and speak to my rabbit-savvy vet in a few hours.

Rabbit-savvy vet is off, but another is going to phone back.

Thanks for your reply Jane, oh dear doesn't cover it. :( What are the proven benefits of milk thistle in buns so if the vet asks I can say something?

Rabbit-savvy vet is off, but another is going to phone back.

Thanks for your reply Jane, oh dear doesn't cover it. :( What are the proven benefits of milk thistle in buns so if the vet asks I can say something?

I dont have any links to Rabbit specific benefits. But here is some more general info:

http://www.milkthistle.com/

http://www.privatehealth.co.uk/healthstore/vitamins-health-supplements/milk-thistle/

The reason I am suggesting it's use is for it's Liver detoxification properties.
Your Vet may think this to be appropriate given that Zimovane can impact on Liver Function *in some cases*

Unfortunately I knew more than the vet in this case. She said she could phone the vets poison info service but that it would be useless in this case as she's asymptomatic. We've just to keep an eye on her.

Thank you for the links, I asked about milk thistle but she'd never heard of it being used in buns and therefore couldn't advocate it or advise me on dosage.

What dosage would you recommend Jane? And do you know if it has any negative effects if given unnecessarily? I can't find anything. I can imagine not unless taken in large doses as it's a plant. I could get the tablets after work but not the liquid until tomorrow.

Thank you very much for your help :)

Last edited:
Unfortunately I knew more than the vet in this case. She said she could phone the vets poison info service but that it would be useless in this case as she's asymptomatic. We've just to keep an eye on her.

Thank you for the links, I asked about milk thistle but she'd never heard of it being used in buns and therefore couldn't advocate it or advise me on dosage.

What dosage would you recommend Jane? And do you know if it has any negative effects if given unnecessarily? I can't find anything. I can imagine not unless taken in large doses as it's a plant. I could get the tablets after work but not the liquid until tomorrow.

Thank you very much for your help :)

It's difficult for me to tell you to administer the MT as I am not qualified to do so. I have used it for some of my Buns (OK'd by my Vet first), I used the Liquid though.

That is a great idea thank you. For the NPIS here you have to be in the NHS but I do have access to Toxbase which is an online poison centre.

I know it can be fatal in humans when mixed with other meds or alcohol, luckily she isn't on anything else but I have no idea how it's going to affect her wee body. I'm kicking my backside so hard for leaving them in the same room as her, I never thought she'd reach the table, to be honest I wasn't even thinking when I put them there :cry:

id say for the moment keep and eye on her if u see her startin to fall asleep try and keep her awake. if shes falls asleep monitor her heart if it drops or raises to much u need to take her to the vets asap. dont know wat else to do if it was i dog i would have said make it through it back up with bicarb but with it being a bunny?

Just thought I should let you know she's okay. The vet said just to keep an eye on her and bring her in if she developed symptoms but she's fine. Just a muppet. :roll:

Internet was being a bum over Christmas so forgot about this thread. Thank you everyone for your help. :wave:

Back