• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does anyone have any newspapers i can buy or know where i can buy some please?

Ambience

Warren Veteran
Just been out to the shop to get some newspapers. It's costing me £5 a time for some papers to line the hutches with. My alternative is get some paper bedding and put that under at £6 a 25kg bag or i could just leave the newspaper out and put megazorb , then hay. I have lino down, so this is a possibility, but i'd rather have the newpaper for that extra layer ideally.

I've searched ebay and nothing, i can't find any on google or elsewhere. Can someone tell me please where to look. Thanks alot.

Do you have a free local newspaper or a local newspaper that they sell in the shop, if so ask your local newsagent if they will keep any unsold papers for you normally they just send them back but some will let you have them as long as you collect them regularly. If you have a local free newspaper ring their office and see what they do with their old papers they may let you collect some. Our village shop saves us papers they don't sell, they just rip off the top of the paper with the date on and return that. :)

after disinfecting the hutch and cage thoroughly i line them with the free newspaper that comes then the sawdust and hay on top makes it easier to clean out :D the neihbours save them for me as well :lol:

I know how you feel, I can't read papers quick enough for the buns! I've even tried Freecycle and no one has responded :(

Do you not know anyone who works in a largeish place. I put a request in our newsletter so I have a regular supply now

Could you ask family, friends & neighbours to save them for you & collect them regularly?

I know it's a nightmare running short of newspapers & we've been there a few times. My dad & all his neighbours, plus our neighbours & a guy I work with & his mum & dad save them for me now. They are godsends, as it really does help us so much.

Perhaps buy them a plastic storage box or something similar in to store them for you? Saves them putting them in their recycle bin too ;)

It might also be worth ringing places that supply the free newspapers to see if they can let you have any of their old supplies etc.

Put a 'Wanted' request on Freecycle (or Freegle if it's changed round your way). I was absolutely overwhelmed with offers of regular supplies. Alternatively, a lot of businesses get papers delivered every day so you could trawl a few offices and ask if they'd put some aside for you if they do :wave:

Do you have neighbours? Would you feel comfortable putting a flyer through doors asking people to save newspapers for you? Lots of people prefer to reuse than recycle if they can cos it's more environmentally friendly.

I put out a request on facebook as I have about 10 people on my street as friends on there, I did it on the night before recycling day and the next morning my doorstep was piled high with papers heehee :)

I don't even buy a newspaper usually and got into the position I was starting to just to use for the hutches, which on a limited budget was frustrating - I'd rather spend the money on treats for the buns!!

I then mentioned it to everyone I see - friends, colleagues, neighbours, clients and as long as I collect them regularly so they don't pile up, they are all happy to put them aside for me rather than recycle them. They save me their shredded paper too which I use to add to the hay and straw to make the hutches snuggly.

When I was really desperate I used the pages from old copies of Yellow Pages.

It is difficult as I only have nine buns and I do get through an awful lot of newspaper as I line their litter trays with it as well as their hutches.

I can imagine it's very difficult. We used to get free newspapers and that would tide us over back when I used them. But Dad uses them for the fire too so it would be pot luck who'd get to them first :lol: I don't use them anymore which is fortunate cos we no longer get free ones! :?

Most people end up asking neighbours, put adverts on freecycle, obtain them from neighbours recycling boxes and a couple of people I know who live near main line stations go and pull them out of the newspaper bins at the station.

Many estate agents will have left over copies of their houses for sales papers each week available ....

I get a couple of papers a day when I go to work, I usually have more than I need and reguarly put them out in the paper bin, if anyone who lives near me wants newspapers please let me know as I am more than happy to collect a pile for you.

luckily i work for a big company and can access newspapers reasonably regularly, hoping that doesnt change as its really convenient!

but otherwise yes i think the idea about estate agents is pretty good, and also local newsagents im sure would be happy to pass you ones at the very end of the days sales or else the following day.

or as others said try the neighbours - they might think youre a bit weird but who cares :D

I have several people who bring me papers, but when I've been desperate I've raided the recycling bins at the supermarket!

Just been out to the shop to get some newspapers. It's costing me £5 a time for some papers to line the hutches with. My alternative is get some paper bedding and put that under at £6 a 25kg bag or i could just leave the newspaper out and put megazorb , then hay. I have lino down, so this is a possibility, but i'd rather have the newpaper for that extra layer ideally.

I've searched ebay and nothing, i can't find any on google or elsewhere. Can someone tell me please where to look. Thanks alot.

its to bad if u lived near me i could have helped. we've got quite a few packed up some where. i dont use newspaper so im alright there. i just use woodshaving if i go to use anything else he wont use his litter tray. knowing it my rabbit is a house rabbit.

ask big accountant firms

ask accountant firms if they have the Financial Times. Big papers make good linings. Also check with your local library, and any cafes that put a couple of papers out for customers to read. Greengrocers get brown paper between layers of some veg, I think, too. Good luck. Lots of people hate waste and would be happy for their papers to go to good use.

I use to go and lift all the papers from the small recycle bins, when the neighbours put them out. Then the council changed to wheelie and mixed the papers in with all other recycled stuff, so it was more difficult.

I would pop a container in your garden and ask your neighbours to pop their newspapers in there, instead of their recycling bin. Now that councils are only collecting one bin of recycling, people might like the space and the papers going elsewhere.

I have a sheltered housing opposite and, one of the elderly neighbours, pops bags of them in my porch. My car was full of papers when I went to Windwhistle for the day. Ive never had so many papers as, like you, I used to struggle to get them.

Trouble is that I sit and read all the old papers:lol:

some one i know just nicks the metro papers of the buses in a morning lol just grabs them all and put them in his bag lol

Back