• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My bottles won't stop leaking! Driving me insane

William

Wise Old Thumper
Jack's bottle and Ben's bottle were both leaking so I replaced them. Jack's new one started leaking. So I got Jack another. It leaked too. Now Ben's new one is leaking.

Their cage is getting soaked and I have to change them several times a day now. It driving me crazy. Why are they leaking?! Timmy's isn't. And I used the original bottles for over 2 years, so why did they both decide to leak now? I only need to use them another 3 weeks, since when I bond my 3 I'll use a crock. Anyone have any ideas on why they're leaking? They're indoor, so it has nothing to do with the cold.

Do you fill them right up to the top if not fill them right to the top this causes a vacuum in the bottle and stops it from dripping. Try it..it could be this as we have found the same problem with certain bottles. :)

Yeah, I always do. Last night when I gave Jack his new one I made sure it was to the very top and then gently squeezed out some to create a vacuum like it said to do on the package. It seems to work fine at first but then when I checked it this morning over half the water had leaked.

Does it matter that these are smaller bottles? They're made for hamsters but its enough water for over a day for my rabbits so I like this size (because there isn't any sense using a bigger bottle, since I change the water every day). I don't really see how that could be the problem anyway, since like I said, I had been using them for over 2 years for rabbits.

Yeah, I always do. Last night when I gave Jack his new one I made sure it was to the very top and then gently squeezed out some to create a vacuum like it said to do on the package. It seems to work fine at first but then when I checked it this morning over half the water had leaked.

Does it matter that these are smaller bottles? They're made for hamsters but its enough water for over a day for my rabbits so I like this size (because there isn't any sense using a bigger bottle, since I change the water every day). I don't really see how that could be the problem anyway, since like I said, I had been using them for over 2 years for rabbits.

We use the medium and large ones, but they can leak and it is annoying as it soaks everything. We now use a lot of Ezi-Filla bottles and we don't have any problems with them at all but they are not cheap.

http://www.johnhopewell.co.uk/default.asp?template=productdetail.page.xml&productid=22

I was just about to say the Ezi-FIlla's. I used to use them, I don't now, mine have bowls, you'll see why in a minute! They didn't leak at all with Nutmeg and Smudge, I don't have anywhere to attach them in their room now. They did leak with the other two but that's cos Mischa has a, um, unique way of drinking from them. He pushes up the valve with his nose and lets the water drip down to his mouth which meant we were getting masses of water in the litter tray and I also couldn't tell how much they were drinking. :roll:

Had exactly the same problem and was getting sick of it. I give them a bowl now - I think they prefer it actually. Having to keep checking that it's not frozen over though.. :)

I guess I'll just use these dumb bottles till after New Years. Or maybe I'll get Jack a new one that more expensive..I just didn't want to since I won't be using bottles for them again. But I suppose I could use it as a spare, if I need a bottle for some reason... Ugh this is so annoying. This is exactly why I don't use bottles for my hamsters. I hate them so much.

Popping a bowl or coop cup (bowl that hooks on the side of the cage-look in bird section) is the quick fix for leaky bottles. That way an water is caught so it doesn't soak everything.

Are you sure that the bottles are leaking on their own? Julie has a bowl but also has a bottle as a back up. It is one of the expensive ones. I thought at first that it started leaking until I watched her drink. It has a lever that the bunny pushes to drink. Julie will often just let most of the water drip out. I had a hamster that liked to do that too.

Back