• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Will he be ok?

mystic.kitty

Mama Doe
I had two buns, they've been together since they were born, this morning I went out to find Haggis had died, leaving just Fishcake.

Will Fishcake be ok on his own or should he have another bun with him, I don't want to introduce another bun as I want to give him time to grieve, and time for me to grieve too (I'm rather upset at the moment). Are buns ok to live on their own?

I'm so sorry to hear about poor Haggis.:( Do you know what he died from? if not I would probably take Fishcake to the vet and get him checked over andgive the place a good clean in case there was anything infectious. Maybe leave him for a while before looking for another bun so he can grieve and then try and find him a friend.

I'm so sorry about Haggis, binky free boy :cry::cry:

I would just take each day at a time and see how things go with Fishcake. I think it depends on the bun as to their reaction. If you find he is noticeably withdrawn and doesn't perk up after a few days, then I would consider finding him a new partner. I would pay him lots of extra attention though, as he is sure to miss having somebun to cuddle up with and just check he is still eating as normal.

So sorry again xx

oh, so sorry, poor fishcake, and poor you. sorry for your loss. My old boy Zakki passed away a couple of months ago, leaving his wife Strawberry. She was extremely withdrawn and also aggressive and nippy, I am currently planning to bond her with another pair as she is very lonely. Bunnies dont like to live alone, especially if they have already been in a bonded friendship, though i do believe they should be given a little time for grieving so they are not too confused by the change.
Binky free little haggis <3

i'm so sorry to hear your sad news:(
personally i wouldn't rush out for another bun - for your sake or fishcake's. maybe give him a bit of time and see if a rescue can find a suitable pal - easier if they do the bonding too.
is there any chance you could bring fishcake indoors (in a cool room) as these extremely low temperatures whilst he's newly single may be rather harsh for him?

i'm so sorry to hear your sad news:(
personally i wouldn't rush out for another bun - for your sake or fishcake's. maybe give him a bit of time and see if a rescue can find a suitable pal - easier if they do the bonding too.
is there any chance you could bring fishcake indoors (in a cool room) as these extremely low temperatures whilst he's newly single may be rather harsh for him?

I agree with you Poppymoon, I think that if you can bring him in, he will recover more quickly and wont be so lonely if he has a family indoors, only do take care for him not to get too warm too quick.

If it is not possible to bring him in, I think that you need to rebond him as quickly as possible as its too cold and lonely out there on his own, buns are not like us that need time to grieve, they do forget quite quickly which is why they can become unbonded quickly too.

I am so sorry for your loss, Binky free Haggis

Back