• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Group bonding

Hi all :wave:
I have 7 buns, who are currently in 3 pairs and a lone grumpy Strawberry ;)
I have been tarting around on the internet and come across a couple of rescues who have large resident groups, and i am intrigued, and mildly excited at the prospect. Initially I thought 'i dont agree' then when my subconscience asked me why, i couldnt answer, i think it was just the initial thought, because it is a new concept to me, so after some excited squeals i have opened my mind, and asking for advice. I am not rushing into anything before getting peoples views, ideas, tips and experience.
Any input greatly appreciated :)
Thanks in advance bunny peeps xx

i love the thought of a large group but i wouldnt have one i dont think.
i had a trio and all seemed fine, eating and stuff but then miffy started to loose wieght and i took her to the vets who couldnt find anything wrong. she carried on loosing wieght despite eating everything, i took her back. ...because there was 3 i hadnt noticed she hadn't poo'd and had a huge blockage in her bowel. :cry:
this is my reason mainly because of illness and visits to vets ect.......:?
groups are great until an illness strikes!

Hello, thanks for your post :)
yes, this has all been taken into account, the photo i saw was of around 10, and another of about 7 or 8, and whilst it looked positively adorable, i dont think i agree with that number, though i am sure they are very happy and the people know what they are doing. im hoping to merge 2 pairs and then the 3, more like natural environment i guess, and secretly hoping it will soften the blow to the hubby when i get more rescues, as all he sees are number of runs to scrub, not individual buns lol :p
I examine all my buns abdos daily as part of their morning routine so they are used to their mommy being obsessive, but i am not superwoman, i cannot hand on heart say i would be able to tell if one hadnt pood for 12 hours, if i had 10 in a group! 4 maybe, but not 10.

we are going to try and get some of our pairs into 4s in January - just to make it simpler to clean etc and also to give them more time out (they have to share the lawn and in pairs it means they have less time there).

But then we do have 22:shock:

we are going to try and get some of our pairs into 4s in January - just to make it simpler to clean etc and also to give them more time out (they have to share the lawn and in pairs it means they have less time there).

But then we do have 22:shock:

I am so using you as an example when the man tells me i have far too many!!
Let me know how it goes! :) :wave:

There are a few rescues with large bonded groups including FatFluffs who arent that far from you. It does seem to work well for them and the buns are well cared for.

Out of interested have you decided why you dont agree?

Yes, it was their site I saw, it looks amazing, I might see if I can visit them! No I decided I didnt have a good reason why, except for maybe the observation side, but I am pretty obsessive and attentive so this has been dissipated slightly, which is why I opened my mind and Im going for it :) Am going to merge 2 pairs initially and see how it goes :) Thank you for posts, thought id get more, but this is still helpful and has spurred me along!! Will let you all know how it goes!
How long have people found it takes to bond? I have always been extremely lucky and its took less than a day, but sure this will be slightly more taxing xxxx

Hi! We've got an event at Fat Fluffs HQ on Sat 12th Feb 2011. Message me your e-mail address & I'll add you to our mailing list so you get details. You're more than welcome to come along and meet the gang! X

I had a bonded group of six once and it worked fine. They were separated at night as I don't have room for a shed so had to use hutches. As far as the bond went this didn't break - probably because the hutches were so close to each other. Nobun was left out and they all lived harmoniously.

I intended to bond Peggy and Sue to my group of three but because Sue is so poorly with only half a kidney working I decided against it as I didnt want to stress her out.

When she does eventually go to The Bridge (hopefully not for a Very Long Time) and I find her a partner, I will then try to bond so I have a group of five. I like large groups of buns. It means I can give them more space to run in as they don't have to share and they have a choice of company - more friends.

It is much harder to monitor their eating and pooping - but I find even with two that isn't easy.

Hi! We've got an event at Fat Fluffs HQ on Sat 12th Feb 2011. Message me your e-mail address & I'll add you to our mailing list so you get details. You're more than welcome to come along and meet the gang! X

Thank you Woodlouse :) Have sent PM, look forward to seeing you soon xx

I had a bonded group of six once and it worked fine. They were separated at night as I don't have room for a shed so had to use hutches. As far as the bond went this didn't break - probably because the hutches were so close to each other. Nobun was left out and they all lived harmoniously.

I intended to bond Peggy and Sue to my group of three but because Sue is so poorly with only half a kidney working I decided against it as I didnt want to stress her out.

When she does eventually go to The Bridge (hopefully not for a Very Long Time) and I find her a partner, I will then try to bond so I have a group of five. I like large groups of buns. It means I can give them more space to run in as they don't have to share and they have a choice of company - more friends.

It is much harder to monitor their eating and pooping - but I find even with two that isn't easy.

Thanks for that Rhianna. How did you go about the inital bonding, did you do them all together or did the group grow slowly? xx

:wave: I have a bonded group of 6 and love to see the interaction between them. I have 4 males and 2 females. Initially I had a bonded male and female and then added a separate male and female and a bonded pair of males at the same time. It took me around 2 weeks to bond them fully. They stayed in my bedroom for about a week. The bonding wasn't too difficult really only a few minor scuffles. I think if you know your bunnies quite well it is reasonably easy to spot illnesses in the same way you would normally. The only time I have found it a bit difficult was when one of mine had an op this week and all 6 had to come in the house to prevent a breakdown in the bond. Otherwise it's been fine. When I go into the shed it can be any bun snuggled with another. The only 2 that are always together are the male bonded pair who are brothers. Hope you do come along to the Fat Fluffs event, I shall probably be there and Victoria39 who has a bonded group of 9. So plenty of experience and advice. :D

Here's mine in the garden having a snack

01122010762.jpg

I had two buns and then sadly Florence went to the Bridge so I took her partner, Daisy, to a rescue speed-dating and ended up with a husbun and volunteering there for a year. I then adopted a Mum and two of her babies who were bonded with the other two, making five. I said 'no more' but then fell in love with this tiny netherland dwarf at the rescue and brought him home which made six.

So, it was a gradual building of the group. I would love to do it again as I find it much more difficult having three groups of two and a three as I have at the moment. Two are indoor though and two in a hutch/run set-up. I could only bond five realisitically and all the time Sue (the poorly bun) has a good quality of life I will keep things as they are.

I really enjoy seeing large groups of buns together. Even my trio often snuggle in pairs - but the pairs vary so nobun is left out. I know it's different but I wouldn't want to have just one friend in life:D

My vet has started coming out to me to do vaccinations which makes life a lot easier too. With a big group you can't take them all to the vet each time, but I just used to take one other bun for company for the poorly one.

Back