• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Weight loss in a bonded rabbitU/D 20/12

biscuitblossom

Warren Veteran
If you have a bonded pair and one has lost a lot of weight would you split them up or keep them together?

I noticed today that Indigo has lost a lot of weight shes eating so I can't imagine her teeth are a problem (I will of course get them checked) ,for the moment I've brought her indoors on her own so I can properly see what shes eating and pooing out but what do I do after that?

Advice please!!

Last edited:
Bluebell eats very slowly when his resp probs play up and I've noticed he was losing weight whilst she gained it. I just seperate them for a few mins at feeding time.

I have a skinny bunny in a bonded pair, I only seperate them for extra feeding (for Mae the skinny bun) and vets visits :wave:

I would not split them up. I'd get the weightloss Bun checked over by a Vet ASAP and feed the pair separately.

They are housed outdoors in a shed (they go in a hutch overnight) will she be ok with the cold do you think?

Can you tell I'm in a flap?? I can't believe I haven't noticed before :oops:

How skinny is she? Do you have a snugglesafe she could have? It would largely depend on why she's lost the weight. If she's poorly she may be better off indoors, but then of course you're going to have to wait to put her back out so its a tough one.

Depends what the dynamic of the pairing is. If the 'fat' bun is a bully and guards the food, then you might be best to split them up and re-bond with more suitable partners.

If it's teeth/health issues, then you could always split them up during feed times as Jane suggested.

Indigo should be fine to go back outdoors if she's only been in the house a short time...but obviously it's easier to keep an eye on any health issues indoors.

Depends what the dynamic of the pairing is. If the 'fat' bun is a bully and guards the food, then you might be best to split them up and re-bond with more suitable partners.

If it's teeth/health issues, then you could always split them up during feed times as Jane suggested.

Indigo should be fine to go back outdoors if she's only been in the house a short time...but obviously it's easier to keep an eye on any health issues indoors.

If anything I'd say Indigo is the bossy bunny of the two which makes it more worrying really .

If they're getting along together then I'd be inclined to keep them together but split them at meal times, I do this with Dolly from the other two 1) because she needs to put on a little weight 2) she eats slower than the other two so wasn't getting her fair share.

When I do this I split them but so they can still see each other, through mesh.

indigo is booked for a dental on thursday, she has a molar with a large spur that digging into her cheek. The vet wants me to feed her up a bit before she has the op , she has gone from 2.5kg to 1.9kg bless her

Back