• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

As bunnies get older .....

Bitzy

Mama Doe
..... do they generally get more snuggly??

Dizzi and Rascal have come on in leaps and bounds from initially hating me even touching them to them loving nose and cheek rubs .... but they still don't like being picked up and run a mile if they think that's what's going to happen.

They're now 8 months old and I just wondered if they mellow a bit with age and could end up being snuggly?? I'm totally going to carry on doing my best to bond with them but just wondered if age played a part at all??

You might find a difference also because they are now living in the house, and will have accepted you as a more permanent part of their environment. It's an interesting question - hope some experience people come along to this thread.

I'm by no means an expert but I don't think it's to do with actual age, it's probably more to do with the fact that the older your bun gets, the more time it will have spent with you forming a bond if that makes sense?
For example a five year old rabbit has had five years to bond with it's owner, but an 8 month old rabbit has only had 8 months...

If that makes sense?:lol:

My boy was a little live wire when he was young, although he formed a strong attchment to me early, with a morning ritual of touching my nose with his whiskers.

He'd sometimes let me stroke him when he was flaked out after a running play session. I just thought how some children don't like to be cuddled much - there are too many exciting things to do. I just respected his wishes.

Around 6-7 months, we had a routine of a short stroke in the morning & a longer one at night, but he didn't like it at any other time.

Now he's 5 1/2 & after long illness he's game for a cuddle all the time & loves it with lots of purring. When I lie on the floor with him, I get a thorough face wash!

ETA He won't sit on my lap, sofa, or bed though! I think that some buns are temperamentally more cuddly than others. Perhaps we should remember that stroking involves us covering them with OUR scent which is very strong.

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies ........ it will be interesting to see how they progress, really excited that they now like the nose/cheek rubs and if they're in the right mood they don't even mind a full body stroke when they're flopped! :D

Mine are3 about the same age and the last month or so has seen their relationship with me really come on. They still hate being picked up, but are calmer once in my arms. They are also more demanding of attention and will nudge me or tug at my trousers for nose rubs now they've realised it can be fun and may lead to treats.

I found lying down with them and bumping noses with them is good, or when they are scrabbling at the side of their cage at breakfast time I'll bend down and bump noses with them.

Yes, mine are coming along nicely, at their own speed and on their own terms. After a year and 4 months, I lifted them yesderday without too much of a strugle and both sat on my knee while I had a cuddle!! They feel like well stuffed beanie babies!! They don't particularly like it and I wont force the issue all the time but Ooooooohhhhhhhh bunny cuddles are very addictive - have to force myself to leave em alone!!! I had to lift them to check butts. Oh I love my beanie babies!! :love:

:wave: Hahaha its fab when you make some progress isn't it! :D

Mine try and get away when I go to pick them up but once I'm holding them they just sit quietly - although I'm not sure if this is cos they're so scared they daren't move or just because they're thinking 'oh this isn't so bad'!! :?

:wave: Hahaha its fab when you make some progress isn't it! :D

Mine try and get away when I go to pick them up but once I'm holding them they just sit quietly - although I'm not sure if this is cos they're so scared they daren't move or just because they're thinking 'oh this isn't so bad'!! :?

Exactly this!! :lol:

Back