• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Big fall out - spaying tomorrow

Moskito

Young Bun
Hi all

I have 2 french lop females:love:. I had them all booked in to be spayed literally 29th December. They are both 8 months old.

This morning, Custard decided to start humping Roobarb's head, I pushed her off and they both seemed fine:shock:. I kept an eye for a while, nothing....then I popped upstairs whilst my other half was watching them and he had to pull them apart as they were pulling fur out of each other :shock::shock:. Fur everywhere. Thankfully they "accepted" being pulled apart and both sulked in different places away from each other.

....so I immediately phoned the vets thankfully they can do them both tomorrow :) . So I'm taking them in tomorrow morning for their pre-op and then off they go.

I'm soooo scared, for the actual operation obviously, but also that its too late and they would have already lost their "bond". They have been together since babies (half sisters) and have always been so loving together. When they come home tomorrow they are going to be in my kitchen (they are usually outdoor bunnies) and I'm hoping I can put them both back together again, but I will of course be watching them and put a seperator across kitchen if I really have to.

Do you think with Custard having the anaesthetic, it will calm her enough to not carry on? Or am I likely to still have the problem for a while.

Oh crumbs, I feel so hopeless. I will be running around like a headless chicken tomorrow getting all their bits together and just hoping that they can love each other again....arghhhh!

Ali x

Just phoned the vets to see how they're doing. Thankfully they are both fine. Both coming round from their GA:love:.

BUT, Roobarb was all ready to be operated on (I think she's been shaved) but certainly had a GA and they had an emergency come in of 4 dogs that had eaten a load of drugs apparently :shock: - as much as that is awful and I understand that it's an emergency - my poor girl has now had a GA for nothing and I have to take her back in for another one!! Bless her, she's going to feel like rubbish and then have it all again :(.

Thankfully they were fine with each other last night and this morning before going to vets - no more fighting or getting cross with each other, so it's looking like they still have their bond .....but I'm a little worried about keeping them together with one operated on and the other not (although both feeling groggy from GA). She's a wonderful vet and very apologetic, just all a bit sad.

If I have Roobarb done on Monday (which is likely) do you think I should ask if Custard can come back in with her to keep her company?

Oh crumbs, so many questions. It was scarey enough having both of them done, but now got to go through it again on Monday!

Bless em

Ali xx

.....mmmm.. Think I may possibly be in line for being the first one to post 3 in MY thread.....46 views and no replies!:roll::roll:

In case anyone is interested :wave: my babies are home. Custard (the one that had the spay) has had a wee, a tiny bit to drink, but nothing else. Roobarb (the one that had GA and shave, but no spay) has poo'd, eaten and drunk. So I'm hoping that's okay :). Think that'll be me staying awake for most of the night now checking on them.

Roobarb is booked in for her spay on Monday now and Custard will go in with her, and have her check up whilst we're there.

They've given me Baytril to give to Custard (one that had spay) in the morning. Is that a painkiller does anyone know?

Ali x

:wave: So sorry, missed this earlier :oops:

Sounds like an eventful day - what a worry for you, and poor Roobarb having to go in twice :( If they are still together, I would definitely send Custard in with her on Monday, I would not separate a bonded pair unless absolutely essential as the bond can break down very quickly and it seems to be the case that bonded buns recover much more quickly when they have their pals with them for company :)

Baytril is an antibiotic so it has probably been given to try and make sure the wound doesn't get infected. If you haven't been given any extra painkiller (she probably had an injection when she had the op) I would definitely consider asking for some tomorrow if the vet is open in the morning, it will help to keep her more comfortable especially over the weekend when the vets will be shut. Good exotics vets say they give at least 5 days pain relief after a spay - it's a hysterectomy after all and I doubt I'd be very happy with just 24 hours pain relief!

Good luck xx

Thank you for your reply. My PC wouldn't do a search at first and just realised that it's an antib. So will definately ask for a painkiller in the morning and she did say she was going to give me some. If I'm honest, the emergency that came in sounded awful and I think they were all a bit under stress in the vets.

Custard is going "for the ride" on Monday to be with her Roobarb. I'm so pleased that it seems they've not lost the bond after their fur fight on Wednesday morning :love:.

Roobarb (not spayed on) has just stuffed a whole carrot top and some basil, so I think she's doing okay after a GA. Think I'll stay awake till Custard eats something, then I may relax!.

Crumbs it's actually more stressful than when I had my dog go in, at least they sleep, then stuff their food down and wag their tail :lol::lol:

X

Poor you, and poor buns having to get all geared up for the op, only to have it rescheduled at the last minute! I hope they both recover well, and let's hope they can settle down happily again in no time.

....sorry another question. Is it Metacam that they normally give as a painkiller? Is this possible to give this in say a basil leaf, or half a Shreddie, than syringe does anyone know?

Thanks
Ali x

Didn't want to read and run.
Hopefully she is feeling better soon. Luna was done about a month ago and gave me her sad face for about a week.

She didn't eat alot at first but pepped up soon after.

Best of Luck :wave:

Didn't want to read and run.
Hopefully she is feeling better soon. Luna was done about a month ago and gave me her sad face for about a week.

She didn't eat alot at first but pepped up soon after.

Best of Luck :wave:

Thank you. Bless Luna giving you a sad face.....it's horrid seeing them like this as you say.

Their fur actually feels cold, but their ear bases are warm. They are in the kitchen will heating on constant (not an amazingly warm house), rugs, towels, blankets on the floor. A "Hutch" type thing that they can hide in if they want...oh and a litter tray that they are ignoring :love:

Got it all again on Monday :cry:.

xx

....sorry another question. Is it Metacam that they normally give as a painkiller? Is this possible to give this in say a basil leaf, or half a Shreddie, than syringe does anyone know?

Yes metacam would be the normal painkiller - it does sound as if they meant to give you some but then forgot with the emergency, so ring in the morning and hopefully they'll just dispense you some :)

Metacam is tasty (honey flavoured) and most buns will just lick it off the syringe, you shouldn't have the same struggle with it that you are probably having with the baytril! If you do have a problem with getting them to eat it, yes I'm sure it would be fine hidden on something tasty, but do try offering it directly first as she may just lick it straight away - mine always have when they've needed metacam :)

Yes metacam would be the normal painkiller - it does sound as if they meant to give you some but then forgot with the emergency, so ring in the morning and hopefully they'll just dispense you some :)

Metacam is tasty (honey flavoured) and most buns will just lick it off the syringe, you shouldn't have the same struggle with it that you are probably having with the baytril! If you do have a problem with getting them to eat it, yes I'm sure it would be fine hidden on something tasty, but do try offering it directly first as she may just lick it straight away - mine always have when they've needed metacam :)

Oh crumbs, I really hope Custard will take the Baytil on something as it's the only thing I have a real problem with with them is syringes....you'd think they were the devil in a small tube:lol:. Thank you. I'll call first thing and collect (could be interesting as we have snow and ice...bl88y stuff!)

Thank you.

Wow what an eventful few days.
Hope all goes well with round 2 of Roobarbs spey & that Custard continues to do well.
And of course hope the bond stays intact.

How stressfull for you and bun to be prepared for operation then for it not to happen.:(
I hope the dogs were ok, but it would have been your bunny that you were most concerned about at that time.
I hope Custard continues to recover from her op.

You have had a busy couple of days!! When mine need metacam I usually put it on a basil leaf and they eat it no probs :). Keep us updated!!

Hi all :wave:

Just and update for you. Roobarb is doing fine and doing all 4 of the eat, wee, poo, drink. :love:

Custard, poor love....is not happy :(. She's still not eating (so we're 24 hours from operation ended now). She's drinking quite a lot and wee'ing and done a couple of odd shaped poo's - but I just can't get her to eat anything...I keep trying ever sort of half an hour. I had real trouble syringing her the antbiotic this morning, I'm hoping I actually got it in her mouth (she was licking her lips after!).

I managed to get some Metacam (that was a feat in the snow!) and struggled again to syringe her (would be fine if she ate soemthing I'd put it in that!). Again, I think I got it in her. I only gave it to her about half hour ago as it's taken me since 9pm this morning (when vets opened) to get the drugs in the weather. Do you think she's in pain and when the Metacam kicks in she might eat? She's sat in her litter tray most of the time, throwing hay about a bit and her and Roobarb have had a little groom.

Is it okay that she's drinking quite a bit of water as well?

Sorry for all the questions, it's just heartbreaking seeing her being soooo quiet when she's the little Monkey usually:cry:.

Thanks
Ali x

...Custard's still no eating! I've seen her eat 1 string of hay. I'm still showing her her favourites every half hour and refreshing hay/water.

Should I start panicing yet? (more than I already am!)

x

Have you tried dandelions? Or really yummy fresh herbs like basil, mint or parsley?
Also did your vets speak to you about syringe feeding with critical care?
If its any consolation I'm having the opposite issues here with my Flemish Giant foster who was speyed on Fri afternoon.
She's eating a moderate amount but not drinking!
Drinking is good especially when they are on Metacam, so you just need to see some eating.
I suspect she may have an appetite once she's more comfortable when the Metacam kicks in, otherwise she will need syringe feeding with critical care & a gut stimulant which will mean a trip to the vet.
Has she pooed?
Sorry if this sounds a bit disordered as I've had little sleep with my girl too but didn't want to read & run.
Must be hideous trying to deal with this in the snow!
We have had an early drought which has just broken over the weekend with torrential rain - but still easier than snow!
Really hope Custard has eaten as I've typed!

Have you tried dandelions? Or really yummy fresh herbs like basil, mint or parsley?
Also did your vets speak to you about syringe feeding with critical care?
If its any consolation I'm having the opposite issues here with my Flemish Giant foster who was speyed on Fri afternoon.
She's eating a moderate amount but not drinking!
Drinking is good especially when they are on Metacam, so you just need to see some eating.
I suspect she may have an appetite once she's more comfortable when the Metacam kicks in, otherwise she will need syringe feeding with critical care & a gut stimulant which will mean a trip to the vet.
Has she pooed?
Sorry if this sounds a bit disordered as I've had little sleep with my girl too but didn't want to read & run.
Must be hideous trying to deal with this in the snow!
We have had an early drought which has just broken over the weekend with torrential rain - but still easier than snow!
Really hope Custard has eaten as I've typed!

Bless you also having worries, I can't believe how stressful it is seeing them like this:(.

Bit of good news :D Custard has eaten some carrot tops and she has had a whole 4 strands of hay (!), oh and quarter of a Shreddie that I used to try and put her antibiotic on. So that's something I guess:roll:.

She has poo'd - not loads, but a few, mostly odd shaped ones. It's a little difficult to check exactly as Roobarb is in with her and I was mid-litter training them when I needed to do the "quick" spay, so don't like to take too many out of the litter try....I'm kinda counting them (can't believe I'm counting poos:oops::oops:).

....Oh and to top it off for me today I woke up with a streaming horrid cold and thrush (from antibiotics I'm on for something else) :roll:

Fingers crossed Custard eats more :love::love:

x

That is sounding positive, the funny shaped poo should progress back to normal shaped as she eats more.
My girl is brighter too so hopefully we are all on the right track :)

Back