• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

new member with aggressive bunny

amandawr

New Kit
Hello everyone, I'm new tothis forum but not new to keeping rabbits, I'm puzzled about my housebunny. He is 6 months old and was neutered 3 weeks ago. Before neutering he was sweet, responsive, affectionate etc but since neutering has turned into the bunny from hell. He is destroying everything in site and attacking me everytime I walk past him. I've never had this happen before. It's as if the vet gave me a different animal. Any advise please!

Hello everyone, I'm new tothis forum but not new to keeping rabbits, I'm puzzled about my housebunny. He is 6 months old and was neutered 3 weeks ago. Before neutering he was sweet, responsive, affectionate etc but since neutering has turned into the bunny from hell. He is destroying everything in site and attacking me everytime I walk past him. I've never had this happen before. It's as if the vet gave me a different animal. Any advise please!

His hormones could still be playing havoc with his head. They can (as im sure you know) still have hormones in their system for 6-8 weeks post neuter.

What is your buns accomodation setup?

This sounds very strange. Neutering normally has a calming effect, although as Graham says it can take a few weeks for the hormones to settle. Have their been any recent changes to his environment? Bunnies are very sensitive to smell, and can pick up scents humans will not even notice. There is a 'Behaviour and Bonding' section in the forum's 'Racbbit Care Discussion.' It might be a good idea to post your situation and request for advice there as well. :wave:

accomodation

He has a puppy crate in the kitchen with a litter tray and hay rack in it, other wise he has the run of the hallway, stairs and living room. In the hallway he has a bunny log cabin, various toys and a treat ball, a yellow pages and card tubes with hay and treats in. He ignores them all, prefering to rip off the wallpaper and chew the skirting board and attack my feet! He never did this before the op but maybe the op has sent his hormones crazy and I just need to be patient with him. There haven't been any recent changes in his environment.

Last edited:
I'm actually quite new to bunny care myself (since April), but from what I've read on here the change in your bunny's behaviour is very unusual. The set-up you have sounds fine, and although it is not unusual for buns to prefer to play with things they shouldn't rather than their toys, it does seem odd that this behaviour should start after neuter. Have you spoken to the vet about the situation?

healing

As far as I can tell, he's healed fine from the op. I haven't been back to the vet but I will give them a call, thanks

Did you not have to take him back for check ups after he was neutered? I know I have to take thumper and Poppy back twice, once a couple of days later and second a week after that, to make sure they have healed properly and make sure that everything is ok. I'm no expert mind, just learning myself.:D

Hi and welcome :wave:
Firstly Id get him checked over just to make sure hes not being defensive due to any discomfort.
If alls well Id say its just a matter of patience as yoi said. Ive read on here a few instances of buns becoming more aggressive after a neuter/spay. It is strange but I put it down to being a similar thing to women who get post natal depression after birth, which is due to their hormones dying down. Any hormone fluctuation can cause behavioural side effects so hopefully its just down to that and will gradually get better with time :wave:
Btw im no expert atall this is just a guess!

post-op check

The vet didn't do any post-op check, just said to check bunny underneath and come back if it wasn't healing up ok. He was quiet for a couple of days after the op but sprang back up after that and has been causing trouble ever since. Eating and drinking fine, binkying and hopping up and down the stairs so I don't think he can be in pain. I've had a few rabbits neutered in the past and it has always calmed them down right from the op. Used the same vet too.

Hi there :wave: & welcome

Hmmm, this is an interesting one. I know the RU members will do their best to help. We like a challenge :) :lol:

Have any other animals been in the house or do you have contact with any other animals i.e. dogs?

Back