• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

borderline dental bunnies

Candiflare

Mama Doe
I'm just wondering how any of you know when your borderline dental/dental bunny needs a dental? Rosie had large jagged spurs on her teeth when she went for her spay, and Buzz had a lot of rough surfaces on his teeth.

These two both came from horrible homes who gave them no hay, and they are both eating fine - I'm just wondering am I supposed to take them for check ups to make sure that their teeth are not overgrown considering they've had to have dental work done in the past?

Personally i would just in case as some buns don't show any signs until they can't or won't eat at all - Eric!

Esme wasn 't a dental bun as such when she came to me although her teeth were 'long' she's had tiny spurs removed a couple of times - once broke their bond for good and the recent time I nearly lost her through stasis post op.

Once a rabbit has had dental problems you should keep his teeth under constant control, but if he wasn't eating hay before and he is now, there's a good chance he won't have any more problems.

Yes do arrange teeth MOT's with a vet able to offer dental care.

Hopefully a hay rich diet will help them a lot.

This does not mean that you will avoid the need for future dental's but if they have a regular dental check up then you can get this arranged before teeth begin to cause a rabbit real problems and you have to as an emergency.

My girls had their teeth spurred when they were spayed. Neither needed them doing again. Sometimes its poor diet from a previous home and sometimes it is genetic. The only way of determining this, is for the teeth to be checked again. Another good sign is keeping an eye on what they are eating and if there are any signs of trouble there. Because they are in a bonded group of 4, thats going to be more difficult to do - unless you feed separately.

How much of a hay eater are they?

My vet checks the teeth every six months, when they go for jabs

I would maybe do a 3 month check if there are no symptoms to put your mind at rest and that should give you an idea of what the growth is like ie if it's completely cured or there is any minor extra growth and if so how often it needs checking.

Then like raine says a 6 monthly check with the jabs.

Yes they're great hay eaters and never any signs of pain or anything, that's the main reason I asked because I don't know if it just "happens" one day or whether they have low grade pain for a long time and then it gets a lot worse and they're an emergency. Both were eating normally even when they had bad teeth, so I haven't yet seen either of their "signs" of overgrown teeth.

Back