• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bereavement

BevBunny

Mama Doe
Hello everyone, hope you are all well and having a more happy time with your bunnies than I currently am.

My little Lavender bunny died very suddenly last Thursday - she was a bit grumpy on Weds evening but still ate and poo'd so I didn't worry too much, by Thurs morning she was hunched in the corner, spotting wee when she did move which wasn't much, v cold and v lethargic. We went straight to the vets so we were there when the opened. We'd taken wee and poo samples. She had blood in her wee, and her heart was v slow. My vet gave her steroids, antibiotics, pain relieve and kept her to give her fluids and put her on a heat pad. She died about 20 mins after we left the surgery. Obviously we are devestated, she has lived with us in our lounge for 6 years and we loved her dearly.

But we needed to concentrate on her husbun, who she lived with for a year. We think Lavender had acute kidney failure, but we're treating Darwin for E.c to be on the safe side.

He's been absolutely fine for the last 5 days (ie eating, pooing, playing, binkying), until this morning, when he totally went off his food, I thought he might be being grumpy so I cleaned his tray (to monitor for poo), left some food and nipped to work as I had meetings. I came back 2 hours later and he was still not right, and his breathing seemed laboured, although he had poo'd but not eaten.

So off we go to the vets again. We think he has a respiratory infection, and potentially going into stasis too so he's had injections of baytril, metachlopramide and pain relieve, and then I'll carry on with oral antibiotics and pain relief, and injecting metachlopramide. He looks awful, doesn't want to move, and really seems to have lost the will to live.

Obviously we can't be 100% sure but we are assuming its grief (although I we are still treating him for E.c). Has anyone else had a rabbit grief so much that they've made themselves this ill? My fear is that he doesn't want to get better so he won't, but he's too ill to even consider the search for a friend, as that will just stress him more.

Any ideas? We are making sure we spend as much time as possible with him, what else can i do to help him.

:-(

I am very sorry for your loss :cry:

I would just try to be with Darwin as much as possible and keep his daily routine consistent. Providing him with a heatpad may be comforting for him.

I hope he shows signs of improvement very soon.

Was heartbroken to read of your recent losses Bev....

You have been such a gem to all the buns you have known and loved (including my own!!)..

{{{{hugs}}}}

Back