• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay in Essex...where do you get yours?

cloughie

Banned
Hey :wave:

For those of you who live in Essex...where do you get your hay from? I have got 2 farm shops by me (Manor Farm Shop and another one in Upminster/ Ockendon) I usually get 2 different brands of bagged hay from Manor Farm Shop but lately the have both been mank...just brown and looking dead. I have started going to another farm shop where they bag up their own hay...it was beautiful hay but now even that is mank.

I was hoping to go elsewhere to see if the hay was any better there...or is all hay a bit mank these days cause of the bad weather? :?

Little Burstead farm shop in Billericay. I get the bales not bags but the hay is lovely from there :)

Fran - ooo that's only 10 mins on from where I work...do you know if they do bagged hay? Got nowhere to store bales unfortunately :(

Kris - is it nice hay what they do in their bales? its only about £5 for on bale isn't it...well cheap :) random question but do you know how big the bales are? like how long is it? I'm thinking that perhaps I could keep a bale around my dad's if I ask him nicely :)

I haven't got any bales recently, though will need to stock up soon!
They are normally good - average though are at their best in summer. I have never had any bad hay from them though. They are normally £4.50 but are £5.80 due to the shortage.

They are about 4ft x 1-1.5ft ish

You can fit a bale in a car okay, just take a duvet cover along to put it in to prevent all the mess! :lol:

Oh gawd bales are massive...my dad would kill me if I even asked to store it around his :lol:...a good price though...its £2-£2.50 for just one of those bags of hay.

Will have to try out the one in Billericay :)

If you want, I could sell you half of one of my bales at half the cost of a normal one (obviously :lol:) That way you still have a good amount cheaper, and storing won't be an issue :wave:

Santa just posted about some nr Buntingford, don't know if thats too out of your way?

Yeah that's a looong way, I just happened to be over that way and thought I could kill two birds with one stone while I was over there :)

I love the Little Burstead farm shop hay too - although I have found that the timothy hay was quite rich and giving my lot excess caecatrophs, so I've swapped back to normal meadow.

Another thumbs up for Little Burstead too. :D:D

Alfie and Bubbles love the timothy (and luckily no squidgy poops from eating it) but I sometimes get the meadow too to give them a choice. Both types are lovely though. :love:

I was at Manor Farm the other day too and I thought the bales they had there were much nicer than they've looked for a while.

If you want, I could sell you half of one of my bales at half the cost of a normal one (obviously :lol:) That way you still have a good amount cheaper, and storing won't be an issue :wave:

:wave: thanks...my OH went and got some from the other farm shop near us the other day and its really nice...I guess what I got was just a bad batch...so will stick to this hay for now :)

Back