• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

mother and daughter?

Could a mother and daughter rabbit get along, obviously i would get them both spayed but just wondering if they would get along and if yes how long for? :wave:

Don't trust me on this completely as I don't have any experience with a mother and daughter rabbit but I would say that they should be fine together if they are both spayed. There is always going to be a chance with any buns that they will fight/ not like each other but I think once they are neutered and spayed it reduces the risk of aggression and hormones.

I have seen brothers get on and sisters so i wouldn't think it was any different for a other and daughter xx

ETA: there was actually a trio of females on the rabbits in need section a few days ago and it was a mother and two daughters that wouldn't be seperated as they got on so well together and loved each other xx

We have a mother and daughter who live together and they get on fine. They are both neutered and live with a non-related neutered male :D

Don't trust me on this completely as I don't have any experience with a mother and daughter rabbit but I would say that they should be fine together if they are both spayed. There is always going to be a chance with any buns that they will fight/ not like each other but I think once they are neutered and spayed it reduces the risk of aggression and hormones.

I have seen brothers get on and sisters so i wouldn't think it was any different for a other and daughter xx

thank you!:D
i was thinking along the same lines but with it being two females i was just wondering if it would work:D:wave:

I have a mother and daughter living together, there's no bonding involved really, you just have to hope they don't fall out. My two are perfect together, not only do they look identical but they even move in the same way, if one sits up the other does, and they follow each other around. I also think the daughter is most likely the healthiest of the litter, as when the rest had been weaned, she still had access to her mothers milk and never had the stress of being seperated.

I think the most important thing is to give them space, especially when the daughter is young and still quite small. Let one out in the run for a few hours, then swap round, then let them both out, and make sure they have lots of room.

I have a mother and daughter living together, there's no bonding involved really, you just have to hope they don't fall out. My two are perfect together, not only do they look identical but they even move in the same way, if one sits up the other does, and they follow each other around. I also think the daughter is most likely the healthiest of the litter, as when the rest had been weaned, she still had access to her mothers milk and never had the stress of being seperated.

I think the most important thing is to give them space, especially when the daughter is young and still quite small. Let one out in the run for a few hours, then swap round, then let them both out, and make sure they have lots of room.

thanks for the info, regarding the run mine are house buns so would i just bring one of them downstairs for a run around then back upstairs and swap over? xx

thanks for the info, regarding the run mine are house buns so would i just bring one of them downstairs for a run around then back upstairs and swap over? xx

Yes you could do :) I did it the most when they were babies, I wanted mum to be able to run about without having to worry about stepping on her little ones.

My hutch has a ledge above the bedroom area too, this was also useful when she had the litter as she could jump up there and the babies couldn't. Now it's also good if they just want to sit apart for a bit.

Personally I would not separate a mum and daughter for exercise. I understand the logic if it is giving mum time away from a young litter but once it is just the two of them and a weaned daughter I would never separate them.

Bonds, especially between unneutered rabbits of the same sex, can be extremely fragile and it doesn't take long sometimes for one of them to start to get territorial and not accept the other one back. Once they are kept together, they stay together in my opinion, including for exercise and vet visits. It doesn't take long for it to all go horribly wrong so I just wouldn't risk separating them at all.

Personally I would not separate a mum and daughter for exercise. I understand the logic if it is giving mum time away from a young litter but once it is just the two of them and a weaned daughter I would never separate them.

Bonds, especially between unneutered rabbits of the same sex, can be extremely fragile and it doesn't take long sometimes for one of them to start to get territorial and not accept the other one back. Once they are kept together, they stay together in my opinion, including for exercise and vet visits. It doesn't take long for it to all go horribly wrong so I just wouldn't risk separating them at all.

I agree with this completely :)

Mine usually sit with each other in the hutch, but they do often sit in opposite corners or one will wander off, so I do like to give them a bit of time to themselves, but it isn't long at all now.

Back