• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Catching a Cold

MilosMummy

Mama Doe
I have a raging cold at the moment (I think I'm dying :) ). Can bunnies catch cold from us? Should I stay a little further away from him until I am better?

I have a raging cold at the moment (I think I'm dying :) ). Can bunnies catch cold from us? Should I stay a little further away from him until I am better?

Rabbits cannot catch human colds but Guinea Pigs can.

Rabbits can catch the 'cold sore' virus from humans so if you get cold sores on your lips dont kiss your Bunny xx

I've had a cold on and off for the last couple of weeks and my buns haven't caught anything. Combined with allergies to their hay, I'm nearly always sneezing when I'm with them :lol: (although obviously I don't sneeze OVER them!!!)

Rabbits can catch the 'cold sore' virus from humans so if you get cold sores on your lips dont kiss your Bunny xx

I never knew about the cold sore virus, thanks for the information!:D

Regarding a cold, i normally keep my distance from the buns just incase:wave:

I didnt know they could catch the Herpes virus either. I get coldsores sometimes. Obviously Id never kiss my buns when I had one but now I know they can catch it I'll stay away from them when I have one and get oh to take over the bunny chores.
Jane, what form does it present itself in buns, do they get a coldsore?

Anyone know if birds can catch colds? I'm pretty sure parrots can't but what about ducks and button quail? I think I've got a cold :( Up until yesterday I thought it was just my allergies.

I've never had a cold sore but will keep that in mind if I ever do.

Glad that he can't get my cold.

I've got a dreadful cold too but there is only me to look after my buns so I am glad they can't catch it. I didn't think they could. I don't have any cold sores but I will remember not to kiss the buns if I do get any. I'm always picking the buns and the cats up for snuggles and kisses - they humour me and tolerate it!!!

Back