• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Jimmy - Our new foster

thebuz

Warren Scout
Poor little guy. He was born into a shelter and that's been his life for 6 years. He lost his sister 2 years ago and we've just taken him home indefinitely last night. Poor little mite won't come out of his box and seems very shell shocked. He is eating and we spoilt him with tons of veg which we scattered around for him to find his food/water/litter box which is all gone today. We can't take pics because he's far too elusive at the moment. I'm leaving him be today as hard as it is today and really hope that he learns to trust us and come out of his shell a bit. :love:

aaahhhhh ...:love:very good of you to take in lickle jimmy:love: i hope that he soon comes out of his shell and you can offer him a nose rub or two;)

Congrats. It is so rewarding especially when you see them coming out their shells and learning to trust you

Hope Jimmy settles in well. What kind of bunny is he? It sounds as if he has landed lucky in being fostered by you. My bunny was very shy when I first brought him home, and it took him a while even to settle into eating properly. He's a happy boy now. :D

http://www.vrra.org/wp-beta1/?p=818#respond

This is the only pic we have since he's been pretty much hidden since we brought him home. He's beautiful and has a gorgeous soft coat. I only know that because he let me pet him when the woman running the rabbit shelter was holding him to put him in our carrier.

At least he's eating healthily even if it's completely stealth and out of our sight! I know he used his litter box too so that's good. I just hope he adapts to us and learns to live a little. My heart breaks thinking he's lived in shelters his whole life and has known nothing else. I guess there's always a chance he'll never adapt but I know both me and my OH are committed to giving him a good life while he's with us. He is not at all aggressive and is a sweet little thing. Wish us luck that we can teach him trust and to play and enjoy his new digs! :love:

What a gorgeous fellow he is! My bunny, Spenser, is also a red eyed white, so I'm a bit biased.:love: It may take him a while to get used to his new environment as rabbits have such a sensitive sense of smell and red eyed bunnies tend to have poor sight. My bunny was 7 months when he came to me, and I have had him since April He is very confident now and likes to be petted, but will not let me pick him up.

I asked if his sight was compromised from being an albino but the woman at the shelter said he doesn't have sight issues but I'm not so certain. He did come out of his box for a little while last night and when I watched him he did a ton more head bobbing and seemed to sway a little with his head and our buns never do that. I think he may have compromised sight but not sure. I'm sure I'll figure it out more as he comes out a bit more. I have to say I'm taking a while to get used to the red eyes. He's very unique looking and probably a big part of why he's never been adopted. I already love him a ton even though we've had no interaction and our buns haven't reacted to his scent being in the house which was a big concern for us. All in all it seems to be going well and I just have to be patient and wait for him to climatize. It's taking all I can do to not scoop him up and cuddle him to bits!!!! :love:

It sounds like he has been 'scanning'. Spenser did this a lot when we first got him, and still does if he is in the house. He doesn't do it in the conservatory, as he's quite often there. I'm not an expert, but I think it does mean slightly weaker sight, and may make the bunny take a bit longer to become cofident in his new home. I didn't go looking for a red eyed bunny, but he was the most suitable for a first-time bunny owner that the lady I rehomed from had available. I have got so used to his red eyes that I actually find myself taking a double take and staring when I visit my friend's rabbit, who has very dark eyes.

Both our buns are dark eyed so it's very different from what we're used to. He let me pet him while I fed him some parsley which he scoffed down nae bother. I think he'll do ok. I'm still not certain about the sight yet. There's so much change for him it's hard to know him well enough to make a call on that yet. He did promptly go back in his box and stay there once the parsley ran out! :love:

This is Jimmy out of his box which only happens rarely

6847f71f.jpg

Yup the box with his name right on it. LOL I guess it was for the shelter to make sure it didn't get put in the wrong cage because he loves it soooooo much. He has been coming out of it more and more but he's still very very skittish when he's out. We both think his vision isn't that great as he sometimes seems unsteady on his feet and startles really easily. It's more than timidness though. We hope we can lull him into some sense of security but we're definitely nothing more than veggie providers which he charges us for and then disappears in the box once they are gone. LOL I feel a bit used but after this poor guy's story I'm willing to let it go. :lol::lol::lol:

Oh my goodness ... he's absolutely gorgeous. :love: That's his box just behind him then? :wave:

That is the box, the woman at the rescue made sure we took it with us and despite my disbelief that we were actually taking a ratty old box with us it's clearly his favorite thing

That is the box, the woman at the rescue made sure we took it with us and despite my disbelief that we were actually taking a ratty old box with us it's clearly his favorite thing

I thought there might be a story like that behind the box. Bless Jimmy, I'm sure he will grow in confidence, but it may take some time when he is so very shy to begin with.

Yup the box with his name right on it. LOL I guess it was for the shelter to make sure it didn't get put in the wrong cage because he loves it soooooo much. He has been coming out of it more and more but he's still very very skittish when he's out. We both think his vision isn't that great as he sometimes seems unsteady on his feet and startles really easily. It's more than timidness though. We hope we can lull him into some sense of security but we're definitely nothing more than veggie providers which he charges us for and then disappears in the box once they are gone. LOL I feel a bit used but after this poor guy's story I'm willing to let it go. :lol::lol::lol:

Could he be deaf? Could be why he startles easily. I had a REW lop and she was deaf and used to startle easily even though she was very friendly. Sometimes if she didn't see you coming, it used to really make her jump. Silly me always used to talk to her when walking up to her cage though, (even though she obviously couldn't hear me!) because it's something I always do so as not to startle the buns :lol:

Back