• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Carrier for 3hour journey...

GrahamL

Wise Old Thumper
...should i attempt to find a larger carrier for the 3 hour journey the bunnies will be making on Boxing day morning?

They currently have a fairly smallish carrier, which they both fit in comfortably, but they can both flop in and just about fit. We will be stopping 2 or 3 times on the way, to feed some wet veg to keep hydration levels up, then will be setting the dog crate up at parents when we arrive there.

Should i get a larger carrier?

If they can both fit and flop I'd say no. Too much space and they get thrown about in it and it unsettles them more.

Depends really, Have they travelled before/ if so do they travel ok??
Reason I'm saying is, if they sleep alot then the space wont matter as much and they'll be all snuggly, but if they like to move around a bit then I'd suggest a bigger carrier. Hope that makes sense??

Helen xx

Depends really, Have they travelled before/ if so do they travel ok??
Reason I'm saying is, if they sleep alot then the space wont matter as much and they'll be all snuggly, but if they like to move around a bit then I'd suggest a bigger carrier. Hope that makes sense??

Helen xx

Biccy's never travelled this far. Ginger's done the same journey with an extra 30 minutes tagged on and slept most of it (the journey back to ours when i picked her up the first time :love:)

Biccy doesn't travel badly, now he has Ginger.

I'd say that size is about right, you don't want them having too much space or they might feel more scared.

I would use one of those cages with a solid plastic base. Fill the base with litter material and plenty of hay on top. You can cover half of the cage over with a blanket to make them feel secure.

when i talked to the vet about transporting the chippies etc the opinion was smaller the better (obviously not too small they cant relax if they want to). the larger the amount of space the more chance or injury.

my buns travel fine in their usual carrier, as long as the litter tray is the first thing set up at the other end they will be happy as pigs in mud :D

btw, use a towel under the layer of hay...Alvin always pees on a long journey and newspaper dont seem to soak it up so well in a carrier for some reason :wave:

If they can both fit and flop I'd say no. Too much space and they get thrown about in it and it unsettles them more.

I was about to say that. I line my carrier with newspaper too so they dont slip further. It's better for them to be squished in and the wet veg is a great idea but they may not eat anyway.

Back