• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Messy Bum and Food

Sweetie

Mama Doe
Hi Everyone

Haven't posted on here for a very very long time so firstly HELLO :wave:

Daisy (5yr old lop) has recently started to have a messy bum. Vet advised to stop/cut down on pellets (Science Selective) and feed more fresh veg (hay is in constant supply). I have been trialling no pellets, little veg in the mornings and the usual amount of veg in the evenings but its not really making that much difference.

Does anyone have any advice at all?

NB - Denzil (bonded pair) is also under this new regime but has benefitted as he has actually lost a little excess weight!!

Thanks Everyone!!

Holly

:wave:

No real advice other than what you're doing, but helllllllllloooooooo :wave:

I had similar problems with one of my buns a few years ago but she was on Burgess Excel pellets, which are known to cause this.
I changed to Science Selective and reduced the amount of pellets and fed more hay, this completely solved the problem.
Does your bunny eat lots of hay? Maybe worth trying to reduce the veg and increase the hay as bunnies are supposed to be fed 90% hay
Welcome back to the forum :wave:

Im sure too much veg too soon can also cause mucky bums...

I would change the buns diet slowly...

How much hay does the bun eat? Does she have access to grass too?

If this is a sudden change in your rabbit then underlying health problems need to be ruled out first. Did your vet check Daisy's teeth and mobility?

An unbalanced caecum (if it is only dietary related) will be equally affected by both too much carbohdyrate (pellets) as it will be by vegetables, especially the human kind. If the vet first rules out any underlyling possibilities then I would cut down on pellets and exclude the veg for a few days so bun eats nothing but mostly hay. Hay clears up the tummy much faster than anything else. :wave:

I would suggest you cut out sugary veg such as carrots, apples etc & increase the amount of greens & watery veg such as celery (chopped) & cucumber. I had the same problem with one of my buns. Cutting out pellets, sugary veg & upping hay & greens has worked wonders :)

Back