• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rosewood natural fruit salad - update: response from Hay Experts

susie bun

Wise Old Thumper
I bought a bag of Rosewood naturals fruit salad, which claims to be suitable for 'all small animals.' On the front it says 'a selection aof dried fruits and vegeatbles' but when I looked on the back I was surprised to see the ingredients include leek and potatoes! I thought leeks were related to onions, which are poisonous to rabbits ... and potatoes! :shock: Is this really for smaller than rabbit small animals? :?

Last edited:
I bought a bag of Rosewood naturals fruit salad, which claims to be suitable for 'all small animals.' On the front it says 'a selection aof dried fruits and vegeatbles' but when I looked on the back I was surprised to see the ingredients include leek and potatoes! I thought leeks were related to onions, which are poisonous to rabbits ... and potatoes! :shock: Is this really for smaller than rabbit small animals? :?

I made a thread about this the other day Susie.

I was totally shocked....like this ----> :shock:

I believe one of the posters emailed THE. Search for 'Leeks' and my name and it should come up.

I made a thread about this the other day Susie.

I was totally shocked....like this ----> :shock:

I believe one of the posters emailed THE. Search for 'Leeks' and my name and it should come up.

Thanks Graham - will do. I bought it from The Hay Experts as a possible gift when I was beginning to panic about snowed in Animal Magic (have since had my delivery!). Off to look for your thread.

Hay Experts got back to me very quickly, and I have been offered refund or exchange. Due to the ambiguity about the two worrying ingredients, they have decided to withdraw the product and will only reintroduce it if they can be made 100% satisfied of its safety.

Hay Experts got back to me very quickly, and I have been offered refund or exchange. Due to the ambiguity about the two worrying ingredients, they have decided to withdraw the product and will only reintroduce it if they can be made 100% satisfied of its safety.

Good news. :thumb: Hopefully they will get on to Rosewood about it.

Well done Susie :)

I'm afraid i was just too lazy to email them :oops:

Rabbits can eat potato if it's been cooked according to "Practical Feeding and the Foods of the Rabbit" which is a book I got from the Fur and Feather shop. It's also what a lot of breeders used to feed their rabbits as part of a mash before pellets were introduced.

I wouldn't even think about feeding leeks though as they're from the onion family. Which are supposed to be deadly to rabbits aren't they?

Back