• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A Vet question!

clarebear

Mama Doe
Can you be registered with more than one vet at a time? A new vets has opened near me and they are going to be open 7 days a week, thought it might save on any emergency fees!

Out of interest, which vet is it and where? I'm always on the lookout for somewhere to take my dogs. And somewhere that's open 7 days a week sounds great!

Yes you can, many do, but its not a great way of doing things. Most people have one for routine stuff because its cheaper, but trust another vet more for surgeries, emergencies etc. Trouble is the emergencies vet has no history on the animal or regular relationship with the client. Once the emergency/surgery is over, who do you go back to? do you tell your routine vet your animal had surgery elsewhere? if you dont you risk compromising your animal's health incase something you dont disclose is significant. What do you do if during a routine visit the vet discovers something medical that needs treating?

I use whitecorss vet for vaccinations and neutering. Thats it though. I took Dolly in not very long back, and he told me shes on the thin side...he didnt weigh her or check anything else! :shock:

So i went to my rabbit savvy vet with her and she needed a dental. At which point, i told her about having vaccinations elsewhere as this is how i found out shed lost weight and she looked suprised, but then agreed its worth it if it saves me some money! :lol: I dont think whitecross would have the same reaction though since theyre getting less money from me.

I dont care what my vets think, ill do what i think is right by my animal, they arent going to turn you away, theyre getting money out of you!

Last edited:
there's lots of threads on this already but please think about how it may impact your pets' care. If you have a more expensive vet consider why you still use them - if they genuinely are better then it may be more sensible to use them for everything and accept that maybe £10 a year on increased vaccination costs is well spent to have a proper examination of your rabbit three times a year. If it's just because they're nearby and convenient, but a further vet is cheaper/better then make the effort to go to the other, more distant vet for continuity. Insurance is a very sensible option - you can then choose the best care regardless of cost. If you are multiple-registered then you can have a problem in emergencies as you are not necessarily eligible to use both practices' emergency services and records won't be available between practices.
Vets don't like multiple registration because it compromises the animal, nothing at all to do with practice income. If you just want to change practices then that isn't an issue.
If you want to be registered with the practice that's open 7 days then there's nothing to stop you but then use them as your sole vet and have your pets' medical records forwarded on to them so they're up to speed.

Back