• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

a well intentioned mistake - advice please!

susie bun

Wise Old Thumper
Spenser was grumpy and out of sorts yestedray morning, and as Tuesday is the one day of the week when I leave the house for a significant length of time I bought him kale to make sure he didn't go off his food. He was unthesiastic about breakfast, hence the need to tempt him. The kale went down very well, but he is now refusing to eat spring greens. I need him to eat his veg straight away as the temp is -5 here and if he doesn't it freezes. I could bring him in to the marginally warmer conservatory (heater only keeps temp from dropping below freezing), but he almost never eats when he is in the house. Any ideas on how to keep him nomming without over-indulging his lust for kale. :?

Try giving a little bit of kale with the rest being spring greens. One of my buns always searches out her bit of broccoli before starting on the rest.

Has he eaten the rest of his breakfast as usual today? What about his hay? Does he nibble through the day (I know he's a bit fussy)?

What about putting his veg on top of his snuggle safe?

Has he eaten the rest of his breakfast as usual today? What about his hay? Does he nibble through the day (I know he's a bit fussy)?

What about putting his veg on top of his snuggle safe?

He has eaten his pellets. His hay nomming has improved (I can tell by his poos). Snugglesafe idea is worth a try. While my back was turned posting this thread he has managed to push a brick and was tugging, if not eating the leaves. I think it the bush is berberis. He is now shut in the hutch and very cross, but I cannot stand outside and watch him all morning.

its good that he has eaten his pellets and his hay eating has improved, maybe he feels quite full at the moment on them

Ahhh another Kale lover! Bramble loves Kale too! I would agree and try putting some kale in with his other veg, I'm sure he will eat it eventually, maybe he is just full up on hay.....although it doesn't normally stop Bramble! The snuggle safe idea sounds good too.

Ahhh another Kale lover! Bramble loves Kale too! I would agree and try putting some kale in with his other veg, I'm sure he will eat it eventually, maybe he is just full up on hay.....although it doesn't normally stop Bramble! The snuggle safe idea sounds good too.

rosie used to love kale :)

He has eaten his pellets. His hay nomming has improved (I can tell by his poos). Snugglesafe idea is worth a try. While my back was turned posting this thread he has managed to push a brick and was tugging, if not eating the leaves. I think it the bush is berberis. He is now shut in the hutch and very cross, but I cannot stand outside and watch him all morning.

In that case I think you're probably worrying uncessarily :) He's probably just got a full tummy atm. So long as he's nomming hay on & off throughout the day I really don't think you need to fret. A lot of buns get no veg at all, just pellets & hay. In the wild they wouldn't have access to veg really and so hay is the most important thing :D I know you've had problems with him going into stasis in the past but I think his hay eating has increased a lot since then + he gets more exercise which also aids good digestion :D

TBH I think the sooner you can get him set up with a fox/Spenser proof run the better :wave:

Bramble has (for tea), broccoli (which he didn't like at first, but eats now), slices of parsnips and carrots normally topped with rocket, corriander or parsley. He has his Kale in the mornings on top of his pellets!

Spenser has good taste then. I do find it sad that I have to limit his favourite food. There is so little that he actually likes. :roll:

Have you tried all of the following: Raspberry, bramble & apple leaves? Hawthorn? Basil, coriander, parsley, rocket, mint? Savoy cabbage? Carrot tops?

All good for teefs & tums :D:D

He used to like parsley, but rejected the last bunch. He likes rocket. He does like cabbage, but only the very dark outer leaves. I tried basil, but he objected so strongly that we wouldn't eat anything until I had removed the offending leaves. :roll: I haven't tried coriander, so will give it a go. :wave:

He used to like parsley, but rejected the last bunch. He likes rocket. He does like cabbage, but only the very dark outer leaves. I tried basil, but he objected so strongly that we wouldn't eat anything until I had removed the offending leaves. :roll: I haven't tried coriander, so will give it a go. :wave:

:lol::lol: If he likes rocket that's great as I don't think it is high in calcium like other things & it's often in the reduced section at the supermarket + one of the easiest herbs to grow yourself :D Yes they do tend to prefer the outer leaves of the cabbage :roll: I find though that if I chop the center section up into little strips my two fosters will nom it happily. Most do seem to like coriander so lets us know how you get on. Keep trying new things, it's all part of the fun :lol:

Back