• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding girls with girls, can it work after a fight?!!

peediepixie

Mama Doe
Ok, I got Holly as a companion for Laurel. The person I got Holly from thought she was a 'he' until he took her to the vets to be 'neutered', I wasn't keen on bonding a female pair but it was a bit late to back out of taking her on by that point. I first bonded them when Holly was neutered but Laurel wasn't, Laurel is a very very friendly girl and has previously lived with a neutered boy very happily. Laurel and Holly were fine together for 2-3 months before one day, I went out to clean out the hutch and as soon as I opened the lid Holly went for Laurel and they had a pretty serious fight, Holly was absolutely the instigator and Laurel did not seem to do anything to deserve it. She fought back but she had to!
I had Laurel spayed last week. They are currently living side by side in pens in the garage but Holly still hates Laurel. Nipping at her through the bars (can't hurt her though) and the other day, while Laurel was out having a hop about, Holly jumped out of her pen and started on her again. Fur flying. I just don't have the strength to try and bond two girls, one of whom hates the other! I don't have the money to have two separate set ups. I know it's only a week after spaying Laurel but if it carries on like this I am seriously considering rehoming Holly as I feel I can care for Laurel better that way, she would have a massive pen all to herself, more toys etc. I am willing to give it a go if it could work but the way I feel now, it's just not going to work. If anyone can advise/inspire me I would really appreciate it. Well done for getting this far!!

I'd give her a few weeks for hormones and try again somewhere totally neutral. I've heard before that it can help to totally separate them for 4 weeks before bonding, it couldn't hurt anyway. When you have them caged next to each other you can get referred aggression which doesn't necessarily mean they will hate each other, it's just frustration and sometimes feeling like the other bun is in their space.

the first fight sounds like it was due to hormones, so it would be unfair to base it on that.
and the second could well be that laurel is seeing holly in her territory. When we let Eli run around near the girls cage before we bonded them they were going mental and even fighting with each other but there were no problems what so ever when we officially bonded them.

edit: I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will come along but I personally wouldn't give up without another try.

Back