• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poor fur condition - what could cause this?

susie bun

Wise Old Thumper
I visited my little mini-lop friend today, and his fur looks quite out of condition. :( Difficult to describe, but just not the right type of fluffy. :? He has also lost some fur in one place on his back. Apparently his skin had been a bit flaky, but I saw no sign of this. His hutch was moved into the summerhouse recently, but the heater is on quite low, but I'm wondering if the change could have caused a moult? His diet is not great, so I'm also wondering if he could have a deficiency.

If he has moved somewhere warmer he is probably moulting. It could also be mites though especially if his skin has been flaking, he definitely shouldn't have bald patches even when moulting :wave: definitely worth a vet's visit.

I always think diet makes a difference to the quality of their fur but I don't know if this is true or not :wave:

If the skin is flakey it could definitely be mites. Has he lost any weight recently? The difference in my two since getting their mites treated has been quite big, their spines now feel much more normal and I've been able to get them back to an eggcup of pellets a day.

Thanks for replies. I don't know if he has lost weight, but am going to tactfully encourage a vet visit. :)

Thanks for replies. I don't know if he has lost weight, but am going to tactfully encourage a vet visit. :)

it's a good idea :wave: mites can be very serious in guinea pigs, I'm not sure how bad it can be in rabbits but it'll certainly be uncomfortable

it's a good idea :wave: mites can be very serious in guinea pigs, I'm not sure how bad it can be in rabbits but it'll certainly be uncomfortable

I definitely think he is uncomfortable, but that's because he is very hormonal. :( I can't say much about that, because Spenser's not done, but he would be if he was like Mr McFlurry. :shock:

Pie was on Chinchilla pellets when we bought her and her coat was very.... fuzzy? Difficult to describe, but it was kind of matted and clumpy... Shes been on Excel a month now and theres a massive difference in her coat so it could be a lack of something thats causing your friends bun to have a duff coat?

I am now going to be looking after my wee friend tomorrow and possibly Friday, so will be able to monitor what he eats more closely.

It does sound as though a trip to the vet would be a good idea.

Poor diet or mites would be the two most likely suspects I think; both are very easily remedied too. I don't think it's moulting as it shouldn't cause flaky skin or bald patches.

Is he fed pellets or a muesli mix, do you know?

I'd definitely get him to the Vets. Mites are a possibility and these often occur if a Bun has Dental problems or is 'under the weather' in some way.

It does sound as though a trip to the vet would be a good idea.

Poor diet or mites would be the two most likely suspects I think; both are very easily remedied too. I don't think it's moulting as it shouldn't cause flaky skin or bald patches.

Is he fed pellets or a muesli mix, do you know?

He is on excel for junior/dwarf rabbits, on the recommendation of his vet. He hasn't been eating many recently, apparently, and I'm going to monitor this over the next 24 hours.

The light wasn't good enough for me to examine his fur properly today. :? I don't know how much food was left for him this morning, but I'm pretty sure he is more than a bit off his food and that the problem may well be dental as Jane suggested. :(

Back