• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny proofing the flat

albo2002

New Kit
Hi all, I'm browsing products to get re bunny proofing my flat, as I'm getting a couple of bunnies soon, and wondered if anyone had some advice.

Firstly, I want to get a baby safety gate so the buns are OK in their room, would a baby gate like this http://www.johnlewis.com/230397571/Product.aspx one be suitable, or do I need to get a taller one (they're medium-sized bunnies) like a dog control gate ie http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160518754871&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT ?

And is it easy / difficult to install these gates?

Also, I'm obviously worried about the rabbits might chew on cables, so I'm going to try and introduce a 'no-go' area by the TV and computer, but I'll also need to buy a cable protector for the cord of a dehumidifier I have.. would a split conduit tubing like this be suitable http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250729335950&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT ?

Any comments / tips / advice would be most welcome!

Al

For cables I recommend having TWO lines of defence! I have conduit like that PLUS NIC cube panels which you can get on Ebay or Amazon or some B&Q's.

_IGP0565-vi.jpg

and
_IGP8726-vi.jpg

Also with baby gates you will probably need to mesh the gaps. I put up a baby gate and Nutmeg immediately went straight though the bars all the way through to the other side! I was going to mesh it anyway but it was so funny to see her go straight through! Also I'd go with the taller one. My Mini can jump 75cm if she wants! Also the other one is wooden which they may chew on.

_IGP8748-vi.jpg

Also furniture, they are good at chewing wooden furniture. I tend to find covered chipboard they ignore but real wood they chew on. The panels are good for that too.

_IGP0688-vi.jpg

NIC cubing has been our best friend. These are the storage cubes. They seem to be enough of a deterrent to keep our buns from behind the tv. They aren't expensive and because they are several squares you can build to suit. We even used them to build a 3 level condo for our buns. (They're very spoilt!!!) We just use zip straps to hold them together and they've worked like a dream for us.

If you look in this picture you can see what I'm talking about around our cd racks. I hope this helps!

Ferdveg.jpg

Yeah that's the same as us. NIC panels are so useful. I never got them intending them for bunny-proofing but they work well for it.

I use the parts of a puppy pen as I can take it apart really easily and make a smaller area for them if i've got people round for instance.

For cables I recommend having TWO lines of defence! I have conduit like that PLUS NIC cube panels which you can get on Ebay or Amazon or some B&Q's.

I like your NIC cubes with the finer mesh, we have plenty of the ones with big squares but Duke does like to stick his nose through them so a few where he cant would be handy... :D

I like your NIC cubes with the finer mesh, we have plenty of the ones with big squares but Duke does like to stick his nose through them so a few where he cant would be handy... :D

Yeah the fine ones are good. I try to use the fine mesh ones at the bottom where I can but sometimes I have to go with the others, there aren't as many fine mesh ones in a box sadly.

Back