• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What does hay look like if its mouldy?

ScienceGeek

Warren Scout
Hi,

I've just bought two bags of hay from the local garden centre and they appear to have a sort of white dust over the bottom corner (on the hay which I can see through the clear plastic).

Is this mould? And I'm guessing if it is, the hays a defo no no for the buns?

Thanks
:wave:

I would say yes that's mould. Even if you take some out for a closer inspection you should be able to return it if it's not "right" :)

Sounds very much like mould. As soon as you open the bag you will be able to "Smell" that it is musty. The mould Spores are not good for buns.

Take it back, "not fit for the purpose as it was intended."

:wave: Sounds like its been wet or damp when its been baled.. which makes it mouldy and "white". I wouldnt feed it to my horse so definatley wouldnt give it to my buns.

Mouldy hay often has a mushroom type smell! I definately wouldnt risk something if it didn't look or smell right!

Ive never seen any mouldy hay, or smelt it, but I bet it would smell! If you are unsure, I would deffo take it back, it isnt worth the risk at the end of the day :)

Good luck :D

Thanks for the replies.

It doesn't smell bad, but I'm not gona risk it. Will take it back later. Even if they don't let me return it, I still need to go back to pick up some more anyway, so might as well try.

I bought a bag of hay from morrisons (it was emergency hay, my bag was more empty than i thought :eek:ops) i got it home and it smelt WRONG. it didnt have that lovely fresh smell, i started ripping some out to look and it had white spores all over the middle of the bag. That went back to morrisons. We checked other bags in the store and they all had the same! :shock:

Needless to say, they all came off the shelf whilst i was there, i even helped load them onto a pallet. Off i toddled to Asda for some bob martin :)

If it's mould you will smell it a mile off! :wave:

Yup my first ever bag of Burns Green Oat Hay was rank the smell was awful! Ever since then I give all bags of farm hay the smell test before I buy and the branded bags of hay get rummaged through and sniffed on opening :lol:

Back