• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Those with outdoor buns....

Blackberry & Co

Wise Old Thumper
....what time do you uncover them in the mornings now that it's so dark?

I go out at my usual 6.30ish time, and the Big Boys are up and bouncing even tho it's dark, but the Little Boys refuse to get out of bed until it starts to get light.

If I don't get them up at 6.30 then it would have to wait until I've done my morning driving job and get back home at 7.30 to uncover them and give them breakfast......but I feel guilty at not feeding and checking on them as early as possible :?

I go out to mine about 7am. They dont get covered over or closed away at night though as they have wendy houses.

Mine have their hutches open in the aviary, but I close the gates to their little gardens and cover those over and shut the shutters on the front of the aviary (the other 3 sides are boarded in).

outdoor hutches

I keep my outdoor hutches covered all the tome to keep the heat in but the run is all open so they come and go when they choose.....

Are they patient enough to wait for breakfast until then? :lol:

I guess if I put my boys to bed a bit later then getting up a bit later won't hurt...

They don't get much choice :lol: My OH actually serves their breakfast and then I go out at 8-ish to empty the litter trays, replenish the hay, tidy up etc :D

:lol:

What time do you tuck them up at night?

It depends on how cold & miserable it is but tonight it was 7pm. That sounds like a long time I know but I figure in the wild they would be underground as soon as it's dark. When it's below freezing it's earlier than that. They have their tea around 4pm and then bedtime munchies & fresh hay before they're shut up :)

It depends on how cold & miserable it is but tonight it was 7pm. That sounds like a long time I know but I figure in the wild they would be underground as soon as it's dark. When it's below freezing it's earlier than that. They have their tea around 4pm and then bedtime munchies & fresh hay before they're shut up :)

Ah, that makes me feel better :)

I usually tuck mine up at about 8pm, then get them up by 6.30am.

Like you I figure naturally they would be underground much more in winter than summer.

Thank you :wave:

Even though I have a perspex roof, I use a combination of hutch hugger, run cover and fleece blankets to create a lower roof over the hutches to try to keep some warmth in. This lot get taken off at 6.15am when they get breakfast and a clean-out.

Because it's cold at the moment, I put the combination back over at 6.15pm after they've had dinner and evening clean-out. When it's milder, it would be put over at 9pm, which is bed-time.

I also hang a blanket across the front of the 'roof' to stop any draughts coming through the front of the aviary. Soooo pampered :lol:

Mine get put to bed when i go to bed but when it was bad the other week and really frosty they were put to bed at 9pm

Ah, that makes me feel better :)

I usually tuck mine up at about 8pm, then get them up by 6.30am.

Like you I figure naturally they would be underground much more in winter than summer.

Thank you :wave:

You're very welcome and you definitely don't need to feel guilty!!

Your nethies are probably the most well provided for and spoiled buns I know of :lol:

Even though I have a perspex roof, I use a combination of hutch hugger, run cover and fleece blankets to create a lower roof over the hutches to try to keep some warmth in. This lot get taken off at 6.15am when they get breakfast and a clean-out.

Because it's cold at the moment, I put the combination back over at 6.15pm after they've had dinner and evening clean-out. When it's milder, it would be put over at 9pm, which is bed-time.

I also hang a blanket across the front of the 'roof' to stop any draughts coming through the front of the aviary. Soooo pampered :lol:

Yeah, it's not too bad down here at the moment, but when it's frosty they have old rugs over the garden bits covered with the normal cover and then extra layers of tarp, plus the covers on the hutches inside the aviary (there's always one hutch door that they can get in and out of) and they've got an old thick curtain pegged over the roof at the moment :lol:

You're very welcome and you definitely don't need to feel guilty!!

Your nethies are probably the most well provided for and spoiled buns I know of :lol:

Blackberry: We're very neglected - mummy won't feed us fenugreek crunchies for breakfast!

Clover: Did someone mention food????

Yeah, it's not too bad down here at the moment, but when it's frosty they have old rugs over the garden bits covered with the normal cover and then extra layers of tarp, plus the covers on the hutches inside the aviary (there's always one hutch door that they can get in and out of) and they've got an old thick curtain pegged over the roof at the moment :lol:

Way more pampered than mine then !! Fluffers was right :lol::lol:

Back