• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

pro texin pro fibre pellets?

rabbitmum

Mama Doe
has anyone used these? i got some the other day for my doe who has a problem with a mucky bum:oops: we have tried EVERYTHING to get rid of it:roll: i thought these might help:? the fibre content is only 19%

We have used them. Although they have the pre/pro biotic in them they didn't change much for my bunnies.

Does your bunny eat at least 80% of hay for its diet?

I have a none hay eating bunny and we moved them over to Oxbow Bunny Basics T which did make a difference (still have some days when dodgy tummy), however he is a dental bunny too which may cause some of the problems he has as well.

0h now you've said that Im not sure if I should bother getting any :? Mae doesnt eat very much hay anymore and I dont want her to end up in stasis agin:roll:

hazel eats alot of hay, a few beaphar pellets and a bit of veg every day:D but still the bad bum?:? have tried just giving her hay and a couple of pellets and have tried giving her some science recovery as well as her normal diet.. i think its just the way she is:(

0h now you've said that Im not sure if I should bother getting any :? Mae doesnt eat very much hay anymore and I dont want her to end up in stasis agin:roll:

It may be worth a try. I would definitely recommend the Oxbow - expensive but good as it is hay based.

hazel eats alot of hay, a few beaphar pellets and a bit of veg every day:D but still the bad bum?:? have tried just giving her hay and a couple of pellets and have tried giving her some science recovery as well as her normal diet.. i think its just the way she is:(

It is important a vet rules out any underlying health issues before assuming bun's mucky bum is diet related. If all is clear then to clear up a mucky bum can take weeks/months of hay only, not just a few days. If the problem persists, there are no underlying health issues, and reducing pellet ration or stopping veg doesn't work then I really would recommend you try a hay only diet until the problem clears up completely, it generally does on a hay only diet just some buns take longer than others.

Protexin pro-fibre pellets make a good additional or substitue pellet or long-term probiotic BUT they will not solve a mucky bum in isolation. I feed half a scoop between my two most days but they do contain cereals and sugars and are therefore not a fix-all for excess caecotrophs and aren't anything like as high in fibre as hay/grass. :)

As prettylupin says, you should also eliminate anything else which may be underlying. We have had our bunny's poop sent off for analysis twice now but it did come back all clear.

Back