• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is my rabbit underweight?

rabbitdan

Mama Doe
ive been feeding them:
8am - egg cup of p@h junior nuggets each
+ hay
3pm - extra hay if they need it
5pm - veg if some available

one of them in particular you can feel his back bone quite promenently. although you can see their ribs or back bone

are they underweight?

Very sparse information unfortunately.

What breed? How Old? Current Weight?

Might help to help you :)

You should be able to feel their spine and ribs but not see them protruding. Another way to put it is their ribs should feel like a pack of pens (Susie bun's expression :oops:) If you're concerned I suggest you take them to the vets and see what they say. Going on weight can be misleading as different bunnies have a different ideal weight. For instance my lops and Smudge have an ideal weight of about 1.8kg, my vet and I agree that at this weight they 'feel' right, whereas Nutmeg is about 1.3. I know that if I weigh them and they are less than this then something is up.

well they are being castrated on 22nd so will ask them if they are healthy

is the amount of food ok. as at 3 when i top up hay they always are looking for more nuggerts

They might need a bit more as they are still young. I'm not entirely sure but maybe try increasing it slightly, just keep an eye that they still eat plenty of hay.

Sorry, it's not clear from you post - do they have 24 hour access to hay? That's the most important thing of all.

My two have around 50g of pellets across the day (4 seperate helpings) 24 hour access to hay, topped up 2/3 times a day and veggies twice a day (i.e. 1 spring green leaf, 1 brussel sprout, half inch of carrot or celery at each helping).

Pebbles (dwarf lop) is 8 months and weighs 2.2kgs (5lbs)
Barnaby (lionlop) is 3 years (approx) and weighs 2kgs (4.5lbs) and is underweight.

Barnaby has put on 0.5lbs since arriving 2 weeks ago, when his spine and hip bones were very prominent. The extra weight he's gained has helped cover his spine but his hips are still quite 'bony'. I'll be happy when he's the same weight as Pebbles or when his hips feel 'covered'

Despite them having all this food and tons of hay left, they still look for more every time I go to them, bunnies are greedy little things. And God forbid I should clunk their bowls together, it's like a dinner bell ringing :lol:

Its so hard maintaining their weight isnt it! I have to watch what I feed Rodge as he is a chubby lad & Orla loses weight all the time! I go by the 'pack of pens' rule also, my vet told me this as I was stressing so much. :wave:

Back