• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How often do you clean the entire hutch out?

How often do you clean the entire hutch out?

• Daily- I take all bedding out and replace with fresh

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • Every 2 Days ( Litter trays daily)

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • Every 3 days (Litter Trays Daily)

Votes: 8 13.8%
  • Every 4 Days (Litter Trays Daily)

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Every 5 Days ( Litter Trays Daily)

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Every 6 Days ( Litter trays daily)

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Every 7 Days ( Litter trays daily )

Votes: 32 55.2%
  • Never- I constantly spot clean.

Votes: 3 5.2%

• Total voters

Ambience

Warren Veteran
Just wondering how often everyone does a full clean. I've been doing it every couple of days, but i'm now doing it daily as my buns litter all over the place instead of using there tray.

P.s I've put daily now,but normally it's longer than this- 2-3 days.

Last edited:
:wave: I have the buns indoor at the moment & clean the litter tray out every second day as its HUGE! Clean the entire dog cage on a Sunday when hungover!:lol:

I have sheds but do a complete clean out every other day & normally change the litter trays every other day as well unless they need doing more often

I do a daily check and if I feel the whole hutch needs cleaning I do but when the buns are keeping everything clean I do a big clean once a week. Litter trays are done daily.

I don't have hutches so I guess this would apply to their rooms. I have different grades of clean, sometimes just litter trays (which I don't actually do daily - it doesn't need it), sometimes I go the whole hog and mop the floors and get the hoover out for difficult to reach bits and wash blankets and duvets and stuff. Every day I do a sweep and clean any patches of wee (sometimes we have little accidents, don't we Nutmeg? Hmm? :roll:

Well mine go in one corner, so I remove the dirty bedding from there, move the clean bedding from the otherside of the hutch into that corner and fill the rest with fresh.

I don't do litter trays daily in the winter :oops:

mine have one litter tray in each of the front corners of their shed but only use the one under the hay rack so the week usually goes -
sunday - clean out litter trays for bin day
monday - nothing
tuesday - switch over litter trays
wednesday - nothing
thursday - clean out litter trays
friday - nothing
saturday - switch litter trays

They don't toilet in their bed so I don't change it very often.
I clean up wee when I notice it if they do it outside of the litter trays.
I sweep once a week and mop every other week maybe?

In the summer I clean litter trays daily and everything else stays the same.

i ticked last one wasn't sure as i clean litter tray morning and night and pu thay back in tray off his towels and wipe over cage

but give it a proper disinfect once a week and wipe over evey day and tidy his towels or vetbed

The entire hutch.. Empty the whole thing, then first clean it with a waterhose, then with soap and then hose it again.. Probably once a month.. Although it depends on the weather, if I'd do this now, the water would freeze and although it would look funny, I don't won't them having to iceskate through their hutch..

But I clean the littertrays (they have two, a big one for cats and a smaller one for rabbits) every other day and I clean the what you call it? The part of the hutch they're supposed to sleep in but never do :lol: well that thing I clean out once a week, put new straw in it etc. Also I sweep the whole hutch when I clean the littertrays.

Clean out entire hutch once a week, chuck away all bedding and replace everything with fresh.
Litter trays get new Megazorb and hay every day all year round.

I have sheds, i sweep round daily and do litter trays but every Sunday i have a full clean out, fresh everything and wash bedding etc:D

my guys are bedded down on straw/hay do that fully every 5days, the litter trays are done every other day :wave:

Litter trays daily in the winter, twice daily in the summer. Their bed (hay), I take some hay out to put in their litter trays each day and top up and then clean the whole lot out once a week and disinfect. I always put fresh hay at the front of their litter trays too.

Cleaning

When mine are in the big run and houses i clean beds weekly. But poo pick daily...
In the Utility room its daily... Thats where they are while the weathers so ****!

I tidy the hutches in the evening after work and flick any poos that i find into the corner/tray every day. Pie doesnt poo in her bed area so i dont take the straw out of there... I think ive only cleaned it out once in the month we've had her. She makes such a perfect little nest and gets very upset if its messed up so i leave it!

Indy has taken to pooping in front of his litter tray:roll: so im having to chuck half of his bedding every other day. Then the old clean stuff gets shoved where he poos and the clean goes under his bed!

Back