• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What to do? Very poorly petshop bunny!!

Janey

Warren Veteran
I know I shouldn't have but I just popped into a petshop by my work.

In a small bottom cage all by itself was a lopeared bun, he has crusty eyes and is grinding his teeth, I am assuming a dental bun!! I showed the man who worked in the shop who grunted & went to get the manager, when the manager came over he told me to 'move out of the area, it was closed and as he was cleaning it'(however, funnily enough when I walked past again5mins later it was open again), I just don't know wot to do about this poor little bun. Even if he was bought, the petshop is in a very deprived area and I have no doubt he would be shoved in a tiny hutch out in the cold without any treatment. I would 'rescue' him myself if I could but I already have dental bun who I have spent well over £1000 on in the last year, I can't afford it financially long-term.

I know we can't help them all but if I reported to RSPCA would they take any notice? I feel do sorry for ths poor little bun :cry:

In a small bottom cage all by itself was a lopeared bun, he has crusty eyes and is grinding his teeth, I am assuming a dental bun!! I showed the man who worked in the shop who grunted & went to get the manager, when the manager came over he told me to 'move out of the area, it was closed and as he was cleaning it'(however, funnily enough when I walked past again5mins later it was open again), I just don't know wot to do about this poor little bun. Even if he was bought, the petshop is in a very deprived area and I have no doubt he would be shoved in a tiny hutch out in the cold without any treatment. I would 'rescue' him myself if I could but I already have dental bun who I have spent well over £1000 on in the last year, I can't afford it financially long-term.

I know we can't help them all but if I reported to RSPCA would they take any notice? I feel do sorry for ths poor little bun :cry:

If Snouter was around, it'd be perfect, he knows the rules etc.

Basically, report the pet shop to the local council. They have to have a pet shop license to sell animals and the terms state something along the lines of;

must have adequate accomodation for breed/size
must be given the care required for the breed

etc etc.

If the bun is sick, they legally can not sell it from what i understand.

You could report it to the Council for the area in which the pet shop is located. They will have issued the Pet Shop Licence that the shop requires in order to operate.

Then the following thread might help if you wish to submit a complaint:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=94160

If the poor bun has "crusty eyes" then it might need vet treatment. The provision of which is a Condition of the Pet Shop Licence.

There are also Conditions about cage sizes and special requirements for "bottom cages".

If there are non-compliancies with the Pet Shop Licence Conditions, then the shop is breaching its legal obligations.

Hope this helps.

You could report it to the Council for the area in which the pet shop is located. They will have issued the Pet Shop Licence that the shop requires in order to operate.

Then the following thread might help if you wish to submit a complaint:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=94160

If the poor bun has "crusty eyes" then it might need vet treatment. The provision of which is a Condition of the Pet Shop Licence.

There are also Conditions about cage sizes and special requirements for "bottom cages".

If there are non-compliancies with the Pet Shop Licence Conditions, then the shop is breaching its legal obligations.

Hope this helps.

See, there we go. You have such a way with words and i can never remember that thread ;)

Thank you.

I have reported it to the council who said they will send an officer out to investigate-I don't know when though or if it will help.

I imagine it will be too late for this little bunny who clearly needs vet treatment, I wish I could help him/her!!

Back